1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured The latest fad or are we just suckers?

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by stevebibby, Nov 17, 2010.

1. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Is it me or what?
    Just been talking with another reefer and we came to the conclusion that we reef keepers are all like sheep!!!

A few months ago Zeo seemed to be the next big thing that was here revolutionize reef keeping and a fix for all of us with higher than average NO3 and PO4. It was as though over night everyone was switching to Zeo or at least trying the stuff out, me included then after a few months it's gone out of fashion.

Now it's biopearls and most people who where running Zeo seem to have swoped over. Reading a few articles on the Zeo website looks like quite a few have tried them and after 6 months or so switched back.

A couple of years ago Tunze stream pumps where the dogs dangly bits, now its vortech pumps, and likewise people where doing an "upgrade" to them, which might I add started as MP10's and gradually they have intoduced bigger (MP40's) and now there's a driver upgrade to provide wave motion.

Question is are we just some sort of cash cow for these developers as we and they all know that keeping a successfull reefs not a cheap hobby and we are all guilty of spending for too much money as none of the above have come on the market "cheap"

Rant over
    Steve

2. MinerWilly

MinerWilly Registered

I'm just waiting for undergravel filters to come back in and then we'll all realise that FreedomDwarf had it right all along.

3. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

I think you have a fair point chuck.

Although, I am just upgrading myself from Seios and Korallias to Vortech MP40's.

I see that as an investment and even if I got rid of the tank, would still keep the vortechs.

I did not go zeo and have not gone for pellets or pearls, basically because I don't see them being the best for me personally.

It will always be the same though, new stuff will come out that will be deemed as THE next thing to have. Same with Kids toys, always has been and always will be.

Personally I set up my tank with a specific system in mind, and have not really deviated from any of my upgrade plans, have stuck to what I planned 18 months ago.

Thing is, no 2 systems are the same, neither should they be, and different methods will work for or suit different people. To have the choice is a good thing imo.

4. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

dont believe the hype!
    cracking record that and quite fitting!

5. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

We have 2 vortech mp40w es. Tried zeo and now have 1L of np biopellets and 1L of biopearls. :lol:

Are we mad :confused:

6. Evilscoop

Evilscoop Registered

tbh I found zeo's an expensive faff....
    If you look at the history, at one time keeping something like acro's was near on impossible, now they are common place.....
    marine keeping is still in its infancy as a hobby, and there are soooo many ways to do something now that no two tanks run the same....I believe its all just progress....look at computers for the analogy, first we had mfm and early scsi hard drives, these moved to ide, and now we have sata....

We all want a better tank, and considering the huge investment we make in them, both time and money, we can always justify trying the "next thing", and ive tried most lol

yes I want vortechs.....
    I do have a ghl profilux, now there is an expensive outlay for ya

7. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

You've just got too much spare money. just wait till the little un gets a bit bigger. Then you'll know about it..........LOL

8. Ged

Ged Registered

Yes and no I guess.

I know people who have tried Zeo and then stopped using it and no difference in reality apart from lack of dosing and the old shaking of the stones daily.

I know others that have stopped using DSBs and Cheato and gone onto pellets or pearls and had cracking results so far.

Personally, I have stopped using a nitrate reactor, stopped growing cheato, stopped using a 125w light to grow the cheato, and stopped using Rowaphos and replaced all these with pearls.

Not only have I achieved greater colouring, I now have zero nitrates and zero phosphates, something that I could never achieve using my original options.

The other important thing to point out is the ongoing running costs, they are so much cheaper if you look at an annual spend. And as I said in my case, they work. :thumbup1:

9. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

I just used Biopearls and Vortech as an example. I could think of another few examples if needed.

10. Evilscoop

Evilscoop Registered

let me ask you, what hobby in this world is cheap or doesnt have the same fads...

I used to do archery, the fads in that are silly
    my Custom/modified cars...now these "upgrades" have silly prices and some is very faddy
    computers....go outta date so fast...

101 other hobbies you need parts, upgrades etc etc for

11. Ged

Ged Registered

The problem is, until you have tried anything new, you cannot really say it is a fad though mate.

If you spend £344 on a Vortech and then you have crap results, then I would say yes, it's the latest fad.

Again though, with the benefit of getting one second hand last year with my tank, then I would say no it's not just a fad because they are absolutely awesome.

However, I wouldn't have bought one initially if I had to pay full price for it, the fad could have waited.

12. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

True

I have alwas ran with Tunze streams which I bought when I set up and as far as I'm conserned produce more than enough flow for most systems. For me I have no real reason to change them others might think otherwise.

13. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

My other hobby is course fishing and I still use the original kit that I bought over 20 years ago. The stuff works so no need to change it

14. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

Thing is Ged what other programmable wavemakers have you tried, or have you just jumped on the band wagon with everyone else (i.e fad) Ive had a polario and now run hydor wavemaker, id say for being able to change things flow direction various patterns etc then vortech for me doesnt do enough. As with the hydor I can change the patterns throughout the day the speed of the pumps the length of the pattern all automatically which you cant do with a vortech. You also cannot direct the flow to a particular spot, you may say there is no need to but for some there is.

Also when you get into need 3 maybe 4 then it really is adding up.

When I bought my palario it was the in thing and I must say it really did shift water and would have one again.

I have nothing bad to say about vortechs but I see them as the in thing.

Put it another way if I was to say I want a wavemaker what would be the answer 90% of people would give. I wouldnt 100% say they are a fad as they do the job but there is a trend for them is there not.

I think the hobby is littered with ex-fads/trends take some corals at the moment the in thing is zoas previously cats were the thing to have all trends/fads im afraid.

In all hobbys this is the case

15. Ged

Ged Registered

I haven't mate. That was kind of my point, if I hadn't of got one second hand, then I would have made do with the cheapest I could source at that time. No way would I spend £344 on a single pump / powerhead / wave maker.

You should know be by now, always after the cheapest deal. :thumbup1:

16. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Very well put Adrian.

17. Marine Life UK

Not having a go at you GED by the way at all mate

I understand that you got it secondhand, but I would have thought that the governing factor to your decision was that it was what everyone was talking about and the fact that it was available secondhand cheaper then you could buy new, im sure there was alternatives that were cheaper. For instance I sold my polario 22000 for £95 bet it was half what you paid for the vortech
    I also know alot of people that have gone back to others as their vortechs are noisey.

I think we all make decisions on what to buy based on what the trends are, it was bubble magnus skimmers but you dont hear anything about them now. Also we are prepared to pay what I consider in some cases over the odds to have what is the IN thing

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  18. Marine Life UK

:thumbup1: love a healthy debate me :biggrin: who want to buy some zoas or a cat I have both lol

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  19. Ged

Ged Registered

I didn't specifically go out and buy it secondhand mate, it came with the tank.

I do agree though, having seen Tunzes in Pete's tank and a Vortech in Nev's (well 2 of them)

Both have very succesful tanks, and the choice would probably be only down to costing, if I started afresh.

Lot's of people talk about lots of different kit, if I took everyone's advice, I would be homeless for spending all the money. :tongue:

20. Realist

Realist Registered

Bahhhhhh

On a serious note. I spend a bomb on rowa so it my minds eye IF it does what it says on the tin it's worth it. This hobby costs enough as it is and I'm sure we all look for more effective and cost reducing methods.

I will let you know in 2 months if I wasted 60 quid or not ( well 30 as the other 30 would of been spent on rowa anyhow )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice