1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured The Epo Putty Tank 8000 litres

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by [email protected], Jun 13, 2011.

1. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

Re: The Epo Putty Tank, 120"x52"x52"

Hi Clearwater

We have considered a reef clean system. Tbh we have never run one before but we are trying to cover all bases with this tank. Even if we lay the pipe work and install a pump just for that purpose to turn on or off as we see fit.

The cl returns will be in and amoungst the rock work anyway but it all helps doesnt it.

2. Matt@Epo

Thanks Toby

Matt's other business is a 3D illustration and design studio so it is he doing the 3d work doing the planning stages.

He normally draws pictures like this

[​IMG]

We have kind of changed our mind re the lighting rig. Matt's design was pretty cool but we also wanted to tilt and rotate the lights independantly of each other which wasnt allowed for in that design.

I am glad you think he also has diy skills because our house is a building site at the moment. I will show him your post and I hope it spurs him on to finish the rest of the house!!!

3. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Hi Jan

you can see what I did in the tank thread, the area also becomes a cryptic fuge, I just wish I had put some LR rubble or Course aragonite
    in the plinth to further help POD life etc

my Brittle stars live in the plinths

4. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

:eek:, that's some quality modelling!! Big Thumbs Up

5. Matt@Epo

Nice tank clearwater. How are you getting on with vodka dosing?..are you still doing it?..hows the goldflake behaving?...any issues with acans? ( sorry I havent read your whole thread, but i will)

6. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

I stopped the Vodka and Zeo Bak when I started testing the Aquarium Magic up until that point it was working for me @ 2ML per day maintenance dose

I would say Po4 possibly was better dealt with on the Vodka
    but that's rather subjective, I am using more RowaPhos, but have also increased feeding so its not a scientific answer

Goldflake is fine growing well, just have to be careful what LPS go in the tank.

I only have one Acan a fluro green which so far has been left alone, I could do to move it, as its not in the best position for getting fed

Torch, Cataphelia and Scollys are FOOD !!!!

Lobos, Duncan, Hammer and all SPS so far are left alone

It depends on the individual fish as well I guess, interestingly the Majestic
    behaves exactly the same way

7. Matt@Epo

I would recommend Aquaphos FE. Rowaphos is very expensive IMO and Aquaphos doesnt clump with slower flow giving better contact time and is cheaper!.

I love large angels, Matt and I were in Barcelona and I fell in love with a Queen angel they have at their aquarium but it would be too risky. Matt likes the blueface and goldflake.

Oyster eggs have been used to wean angels off of sps but depending on their appetite it almost works out as expensive as feeding them lps!

8. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

I was hoping the Goldflake being from deeper water would be less of a risk with LPS. all its done is teach the Majestic LPS is food

Love Emperor and Queen's but have a bad rap for corals including SPS

9. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Amazing design pics, even the little girl looks real! :D

Sorry if I've missed it but is there an estimated time it will be up and running?

10. PaulW

PaulW Registered

How have I missed this. !!!! This is the mother of all tank threads. Can't wait to see this baby up and running. :)

11. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

WOW what a great set up, if only!!. I will be watching the progress on this one.

12. Matt@Epo

Thanks for the comments guys, very kind.

funkymonkey, no real date in mind. It has been two years in planning and our workload is full on at the moment. We will take it easy, try not to make any mistakes and hope the physical tank comes out like we have planned.

13. Matt@Epo

This pic gives a good idea of scale I think. Matt is 6ft tall and this pic was taken by him stood at one end.

[​IMG]

After Matt had stopped ar**ing about taking pics and sitting in his "peacefull" wooden box he finally cut the hole out for the glass.

[​IMG]

Starting to resemble some sort of aquarium type thing.

[​IMG]

14. Matt@Epo

We fixed the 45 degree rips to each internal corner. In free standing plywood tanks these angled cuts provide excellent stability and re-inforcement. We were not convinced that we particularly needed them considering the tank is fixed on three sides to brick walls however we also think they are good for the flow dynamics in the tank, far easier to move large volumes of water around when there are no 90 degree corners internally.

[​IMG]

The uprights took some figuring out on the mitre saw to get them right but they came out ok in the end.

Above where the glass will be sitting we used smaller pieces so as not to interfer with the 2" lip that we want all around the glass.

[​IMG]

15. Matt@Epo

Next came the euro-brace. Again not something we are entirely convinced we need but we had accounted for it when we ordered the sheets of ply and it wont hurt.

Unfortunately we couldnt fit a whole sheet of ply in above the tank due to the timber that is bolted to the front corners and stretches up to the ceiling, there just wasnt enough room to wiggle the ply in and it doesnt bend too easy.

We decided to do the euro brace in two halves, joined at the centre brace bar.

Matt first cut the ply to size and screwed it in the 4 corners.

[​IMG]

We had bought the largest hole saw we could find to add the radius to each internal corner of the brace.

[​IMG]

Drilling from the underside of the brace to ensure the holes are in the right place.

[​IMG]

When the pilot hole from the arbour punched through the wood Matt finished the hole from the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Matt@Epo

Once all 4 holes were drilled Matt removed the plywood and finished cutting out the inner parts with a jigsaw.

The finished brace ( or half of it ), fixed with 2" screws and gorilla glue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Matt@Epo

The other half of the brace quickly followed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We employed some cheap local labour to start filling some countersink holes. Each hole had about £5 worth of wood filler over it and around it but what the hell, if it saves us a job.

[​IMG]

18. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Jan

My Chimney needs cleaning, can I hire your helper Hysterical

19. Matt@Epo

Ha, certainly. Her daily rate is £200 but I must warn you she is eager and keen for the first 2 mins and then gets quickly bored and asks if she can do something else.

20. anguilla82

anguilla82 Registered

epic build! will be watching this eagerley.
    your drawing are something else as well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice