1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured The Epo Putty Tank 8000 litres

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by [email protected], Jun 13, 2011.

1. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

Re: The Epo Putty Tank, 120"x52"x52"

Thanks jrob3rts

2. Matt@Epo

Again an older arrangement but this image shows how the deltec reactors are to be fed from a vat. There will be 3 reactors fed this way, Calcium, Nitrate and phosphate.
    I would like to gravity feed them but I suspect that i will be adding pumps on the inside of the vat to ensure each reactor has the specified flow.

[​IMG]

3. Matt@Epo

This image shows how the flow from the vats on the top level will be controlled down to the lower level. There will be an internal standpipe arrangement on the vat at the end of the upper level that will control its water height and the flow down to the lower vat. On the event of a powercut there wont be too much water draining down to the lower vats.

[​IMG]

4. Matt@Epo

One thing I havent mentioned yet is the 300-400ltr surge.
    I havent yet decided on the actual volume of the surge and this can be tweaked and fine tuned after it has been set up. I worked out roughly that a 300ltr surge will raise the water level by approximately 2"

Whilst I am a fan of surges and the random flow they generate I hate the idea of the toilet flush noise or the immense amount of bubbles they create.

Therefore I decided to try and build a silent bubble free surge using an actuated ball valve, a couple of float switches and a solenoid, relay etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The surge tank will be approximately 4ft above the display water level and will use 2" plumbing to hopefully provide a good surge...time will tell.

[​IMG]

Here is the actual ball valve

5. Matt@Epo

Did I mention that I kept changing my mind about the lighting?
    The lights I am going to use have always been MH and I would always go with t5 suppliment, more than likely KZ tubes, blues and purples.

However how to design a light rack that suited my requirements was a puzzle and to be honest I still am unsure on how to do it.

This is another design I came up with. Having these brackets custom made will cost approximately £600 for both.

[​IMG]

They will be able to move vertically over about 18" to raise and lower them from the water.

[​IMG]

They can slide from front to back to position the lights differently.

[​IMG]

They will be able to swing clear of the tank for replacing bulbs and to clear access to the tank for maintenance.

6. Matt@Epo

hers is a small animation for one of the light rig designs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2GDoAsUdQ"]YouTube - ‪lightrig.flv‬‏[/ame][​IMG]

7. Matt@Epo

Thats pretty much a condensed version of the planning stages. I will start to upload the actual build progress tomorrow.

8. Wilson

Wilson Registered

That does look pretty nice. But think its a bit expensive for what it is. Would it not be possible to contruct something yourself for a lot less. Something like a tv wall bracket but designed to hold the units.

9. liam0

liam0 Registered

This would make mine look like a QT tank......... Don't do it!!! HystericalHysterical

Cant wait to see the actual thing altho the graphics are pretty good and a floating tanke would be amazing!! :lol:

10. Matt@Epo

Hi wilson999888

You are exactly right. These drawings were done some time ago (over a year) and since then I havent really been happy with the design. It always felt like it was over complicating what could be pretty simple. You were pretty close in your suggestion. I managed to source some ceiling mounted projector brackets that would allow the lights to rotate 360 degrees. I think these coupled with wardrobe door runners from front to back will give me a massive amount of freedom in what to point the lights at and will also allow for easy cleaning of the glass.

Aswell as the t5 suppliments i am also looking at a couple of LED canons to spotlight a couple of areas. I like the orpheck units but i think they give too much spread for what I want. Canon do a nice led spotlight very similar to orpheck and it seems to have a tighter beam and also comes with a swivel mount to direct it rather than the orpheck pendant mounting.

Thanks for your post, I appreciate your interest.

11. Matt@Epo

Ha...I am too far beyond the point of no return now to stop I am afraid.
    I agree that a floating tank would be cool. However in all my planning I couldnt figure out how to keep 8 tonnes of water, sand and rock floating in mid air :lol:

12. Ged

Ged Registered

/needs to invent a better putty product so I can get a similar setup.

AWESOME. :thumbup1:

13. liam0

liam0 Registered

I haven't worked out the weight of mine........ heavy-very heavy im going with though! :lol: It's 120 x 24 x 30 and took 6 of us to carry it empty so wouldn't want to try it again!

14. Matt@Epo

HystericalHysterical

I need to get folks using Epo Putty so I can afford to run this puppy without having to sell a kidney or a couple of the kids.

15. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Good thinking with the projector bracket, should save a fair few pennies.

How far along are you now?

16. Ged

Ged Registered

I got a sample of the epo putty from Steve at Burscough, but issues at home have stopped me from doing a proper unbiased review. I will do so though, at some point in the future.

Everything I have read though, has already convinced me that it is better than milliput. Especially the non cloudiness and the non loss of oxygen. That has to be the most reported pitfall of Milliput and new users / new reefers.

17. Matt@Epo

Those are the main selling points that Epo has over the other brands plus the lack of ph swing that is reported with milliput et al.
    The biggest hurdle we have faced is that Epo Putty is a lot softer than milliput based products so it is a little different to work with. Hobbyists that have used it in the same fashion as milliput have been dissapointed, but if given a couple of tips in how to use it differently it works incredibly well. It is significantly stronger than everthing else being able to hold 20kgs of rock easily.

We have been speaking with PaulTys and are hoping to donate putty for his project at the museum aquarium. Both myself and Matt will be there at the day trip. Paul has coral cradles for the frags and ( if Paul is happy with the samples of Epo Putty) all the frags will be Epo'ed to the cradles. If you are going on that trip you will be able to have a play with it then.

18. Ged

Ged Registered

Paul should go with it no worries. Hopefully, I shall be there on the day.

Anyway, get some build piccies up. Computers have moved on so much, I thought some of the images were photos lol :whistling:

19. Matt@Epo

Hi Wilson

The tank construction is virtually complete. The next step is to build the weir and then it can be fibreglassed. Once the fibre glass has set the viewing pane can be added and siliconed in. After that has cured a leak test. Then aquascaping. And then it gets salty!
    We have approx 600kgs of live rock with more to get. Steve at Burscough has had some lovely plate rock in when we have been in so we will get a few plates. The live rock is in vats that are preventing progress on the filter/sumps so we need to aquascape that in the tank to get room to start that portion of the build.
    We need over 1 tonne of sand for the DSB and RDSB so that will take a fair bit of rinsing too!!

20. Wilson

Wilson Registered

sounds amazing.... you will have to have an opening party when it's set up haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice