• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

The Cursed Species

Bluez_01

Registered
Hi Guys, I'm sure im not the only one here, though maybe I am, but I thought I would throw this out there just to see...

So what is your "cursed" species, you know the one.. the one that you buy and have probably brought over and over again as a frag or full colony that just will not survive no matter what you do, where you place it, no matter how many times you get up in the middle of the night to feed it, or how you try in vein to keep it alive...

This is not a post to name or shame any one really, but more of a general disscussion of what our "cursed" species is, of course there will be some that dont have one "YET", but I think everyone at some point or another gets one, and even gives up trying, or alters there tank/chemistry to keep it, be nice to know what extremes you have gone to as well to keep that coral...

I'll start I guess with the humble "monti" yes monti, my cursed coral, for the life of me I cannot get these things to grow or survive, in the end they end up as a skelly and in the sump.

Dont be shy and dont be embarrased, I think everyone has a "cursed" coral... Hysterical

Carlos

Registered
Clams for me I can't keep them,
First one was a small maxima that got
Dragged round the back and eaten by
Second one bought off a reefer good size which looked hit and miss when I got it, lasted 4 weeks

Carl

Marine Life UK

Registered
Same. Tried a couple, can keep them for a few weeks, but no longer :(

Never had a problem with suns I had orange and blacks. Strange as they are fairly easy apart from needing to feed.

I went through a spait of having problems with trachys in my own tank, for no reason at all but sorted it in the end.

Last edited:

Whipitup

Registered
Montipora Hirsuta ...... Can't keep them alive for love nor money, the last frag stripped completely in the space of 12 hours.

madseawoman

Registered
Trumpets - they are ok for about a month then slowly but surely recede. I've just put another one with three heads in my cube so I'll see how long they last!!

peterdavies

Registered
Montipora Hirsuta ...... Can't keep them alive for love nor money, the last frag stripped completely in the space of 12 hours.

i find my hirsuta is really sensitive to salinity fluctuations say if i run out of RO in my top up for one day ill get some white area forming

Clearwater

Registered
Goniopora

Tried in the last tank that was nutrient rich no joy

Current tank nutrient poor,
but MM sump and DSB both of which are supposed to help
feeding Phytoplankton daily
Oyster eggs once a week
Rotifer every 2 weeks
Aquarium Magic Coral food
even done newly hatched brine shrimp

and still the Red Goniopra frag declines

at least it out lasted the green one

I have been advised to get one with the base spike still attached, apparently they are often cut off to make shipping easier :fie:

fishkeepers

Registered
Mine was acros I could keep the bloody things alive lol, but it could have something to do with only haveing 150 halides dunno, but they wouldn't bloody live lol o well betta luck next time a :) maybe a suggestion y don't you all put what you did or trying to do that solved the problem or not solving the problem ??

Clearwater

Registered
Mine was acros I could keep the bloody things alive lol, but it could have something to do with only haveing 150 halides dunno, but they wouldn't bloody live lol o well betta luck next time a :) maybe a suggestion y don't you all put what you did or trying to do that solved the problem or not solving the problem ??

I could Keep them under 3 x 150 Watt MH but the growth was quite slow

far better under the new lights, this species even grows out of the water at low tide, so I guess you could say it needs bright lights for the best chance