1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

The benefits of Iron in a reef tank

Discussion in 'Helpful Articles and Website Links' started by Hazey, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Hazey

Hazey Registered

2. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Cheers Dave. So far an interesting read and shows we still have a shed load to learn about the oceans and our tanks. I am about half way through and will read the rest tomorrow.

3. SH4UN

SH4UN Registered

we spend most of our time trying to keep it out someone must of said at some point keep iron out but when you think of how many ships and planes are at the bottom of the ocean and fish and inverts colanise them it must be ok in a large enviroment a good read hazey thanks

4. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

In the summer we will be starting to grow macro algae in our temperate marine displays, to make them more interesting/attractive and encourage more microfauna. To do this we will be dosing iron. Maybe we will try it in our reef frag tanks too?

5. Marksfish

Marksfish Registered

I used to use the Kent iron supplement to help with the growth on my algae scrubber.

Mark

6. chemist

chemist Registered

Unfortunately it also fuels growth of non- desirable algaes and can also cause browning of corals due to zoox growth. I will have a dig around for the article I am thinking of.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  7. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Yeah we wont be using it on a reef system, its a cold water marine. From some work another aquarium is doing you do get growth of various hair algaes but in the long run the macro algae such as kelp etc survives much better with iron supplementation and starts to outcompete the unsightly stuff over time.

Its a bit experimental at this stage with temperate marine though.

8. StephDom

StephDom Registered

I read in slimmingworld.co.uk that Dimepiece LA celebrity streetwear brand is going to launch their second apparel boutique in London. Does anyone have any knowledge when this is going to happen and where the boutique will be situated? I'm keen to buy the LA OG Polo Unisex xox

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice