1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Terrarium Reef Tank Conversion.

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks (11-30gal)' started by richard, Dec 23, 2012.

1. richard

richard Registered

Well I don't have anything to do so I might as well get this thread started, even though I won't actual get my tank set up until christmas morning.

I have been searching for a new tank for the past few months and started to make plans for a custom, long, shallow, rimless, tank, however after having problems with the design I had in mind I decided to put my upgrade on hold.

That was until I came across this Exo Terra Turtle tank in a local LFS :

[​IMG]

The unique design of the tank gives me the shallow depth in the display that I want, whilst the raised back section gave me the idea to have a filter compartment added to hide equipment, including my quite large, Tunze 9004 skimmer.

So I purchased the tank from Wharf Aquatics a couple of weeks ago and they kindly agreed to fit me some glass divides in the back for the filter before christmas, and a big thank you to Pete ( Chippypah ) for helping me out with some acrylic sheets with everything nicely cut out for the back panel.

So I have everything ready and waiting for my christmas setup, so fingers crossed all my calculations for the filter were correct and everything goes to plan :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. richard

richard Registered

This is my current tank as of 4 days ago, a River Reef 48, that I got for last christmas.

[​IMG]

I've had a lot of ups and downs with this tank over the past year, I had some problems with the setup half way through the year which lead to the loss of some of my LPS, and then I suffered with a bad out break of flatworms and hair algae.

All the flatworms have now gone and almost all the algae as now died off over the past few months through strict weekly water changes and just generally giving more time to maintaining the tank, which I will be continuing with the upgrade.

3. richard

richard Registered

I've also purchased quite a few pieces of branching live rock ready for the new tank that I plan to combine with a few pieces of rock from the current tank to make quite an open scape.

I'm amazed by the amount of life that came with this rock, my tanks crawling with loads of copepods and other interesting things.

[​IMG]

I took the pieces of old rock that I'm planning on using out of the tank 4 days ago and have had them in a container with heater and powerhead with no lights in an attempt to kill of any remaining algae.

4. MRMantis

MRMantis Registered

How the build coming on rich, looks like it going to be a very nice tank :biggrin: are you hiding the Tunze in the back compartment ?

5. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Ahhhhhhhhhh that is what is for Rich, very interesting look forward to seeing this unfold.

6. richard

richard Registered

Heres some pics, I ended up setting it up christmas eve, and ended up working on it till the early hours of the morning :)

I've been having some problems with the filter, probably down to my bad design, but basically water was getting blocked by filter floss and the return pump was pumping it into the display faster than it could flow through the filter, but after turning the pump down and moving the filter floss somewhere else everything seems to be working great for now, fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. richard

richard Registered

Forgot to say, the dimensions of the display are L 60cm, H 29cm, D 35cm.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Looking good, I love the branching LR :smile:

What are you using for flow in the DT?

I presume that's a Kessil you're using to light it?

9. richard

richard Registered

Hi Rabbut, the branching rock really does look good in the tank, better than in the images, creates so much more depth and space.

You should just be able to make out a Tunze 6015 behind the rock in the left corner producing 1800 lph and then theres the return pump which is running at around 600 lph currently.

And yeh its a Kessil A150w Ocean Blue, I wasn't to sure about the look of this on the old tank but I think it really suits this one, and its great how the clamp is hidden as its fixed to one of the filter baffles.

I'm wanting to add more light to the tank, I was using the Kessil in conjunction with an Orphek PR25 Bulb on the old tank and the color combination was great, so I'm considering various options at the minute.

10. richard

richard Registered

Planning on installing the Tunze 9004 skimmer tomorrow, so hopefully it will fit nicely inside the filter out of site.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  11. richard

richard Registered

I'm gutted about the cheato lights though, I have two of the Nano Glo LED units that fit to the back of the tank and they grew algae like mad in the River Reef, the problem is the glass on the new tank is about twice the thickness and stops allot more light getting through the back, so I'll probably have to find an alternative.

12. Sandy

Sandy Registered

Cool looking tank

13. KeyboardWarrior

KeyboardWarrior Registered

That's one sweet looking tank good job

14. richard

richard Registered

Thanks

Quick update, got the Skimmer installed the other day and seems to be working well, although it is making a lot of noise which should hopefully quieten down, looking forward to seeing how well it performs when there's actually some fish in there.

I have also fitted the Nano Glo LED lights inside the ato chamber against one of the baffles as this is a thinner glass than the back so it allows more light through, a temporary solution until I decide if I want to use this for RO or something else, possibly a phosphate reactor ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tank as been setup a week today, Nitrite and ammonia are reading 0, still need to go and buy a new Nitrate test to see what that comes out at.

I've moved some of the CUC over from the old tank, and a single mushroom and some blue clove polyps that came over on the live rock which seem to be doing well.

15. richard

richard Registered

Also added 100ml of live Copepods and 5 Amphipods yesterday, so the tanks crawling with life.

16. kico

kico Registered

That is a cool tank. I always had the thought of doing something similar, a bit bigger maybe. Something like a shallow lagoon. Love your coral branch idea.

17. kico

kico Registered

Any improvements the last couple of weeks?

18. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Think Rich is on holiday .

19. Sandy

Sandy Registered

Agree update needed

20. avangels

avangels Registered

you can get bigger tanks i've seen them in a tropical lfs :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice