1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Tank problems

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by screwloose, Feb 23, 2010.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers guys

not added anything new

tank is approx 700 littres ste...so if you have anything i could try it would be appreciated.

Going to try do another water change in the next few days..soon as i get chance

and yes Tina all fish are fine...been double checking on iodine..and generally most info says if overdosed..it will nuke your tank...so i am not chasing that now.

Going too concentrate on trace..and polution...water changes and carbon as often as i can.

I agree trace could have been depleting for a long time...then suddenly tips the balance.

Cheers. Will speak to you all later when i get home.
    And give an update

Nev

2. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

fingers crossed for you mate, if you end up using all your carbon changing it daily ive got some here

3. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Jeez Nev Just seen this mate I hope all comes good in the end mate .

4. Dan1

Dan1 Registered

Do you use ozone mate?? Could there be a problem with ozone OD?? That might be causing a burning effect in the corals, fish might not show signs at the same level.
    I hope you get it sorted mate.

Dan

5. heller792

heller792 Registered

Could starvation be a prob nev? I know you have low levels of nitrate and phos but mine started to bleech and peel back a few weeks ago so i added some cyclopezz and frozen coral food and the sps went crazy especially the ill ones ( you seen the pics of them grabbing food like yours do). After feeding them everyother day for a week they perced up and have all returned to normal. The frozen coral food is fantastic especially when mixed with cyclopezz

Dave

6. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Sorry to hear about this Nev [sad.gif]

In your shoes now, I'd be looking at adding Polyfilter to the system and starting to wet skim. I'd also be gearing up for a 50% water change (takes me a few days to prepare unless I use LFS water). If the Polyfilter goes any colour other than brown in the mean time, I'd increase the size of the water change to more like 75%. I know that is a lot of water to do in one go, but temp & SG match and you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Iodide is very easy to overdose. My money is on that personally, but without an Iodide test kit we cannot say for certain. Other than that, it has to be pollution really from somewhere [023.gif]

7. dannyw

dannyw Registered

HI Nev,

not sure if its been covered but whats your TDS reading? maybe your ro unit is faulty and the top up from evaporation is causing the issue.

HTH Danny

8. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Hi Nev

Now this is so bizzare as a very similar thing happen to my SPS, which i firstly put down to changing my phosphate removing media, then to overdosing the media which was causing a drop in dKH.
    Finally found the solution to my problem which was my refractometer had lost its calibration and was reading 5 points higher than the SG actually was. so as much as i was getting a regular reading of 1.023 it was 1.018 and had been that way for god knows how long.
    A shot in the dark I know Nev but worth checking it out.

Steve

9. Chris J

Chris J Registered

Sorry to hear of your problems Nev. FWIW I think large water changes and carbon are the way to go as well.

As regards SG having recently been reading about D&D's new 'seawater' refractometer I calibrated my refractometer with the pinpoint 53 mS solution rather than RO water and found that I had been running at 1.0235 rather than 1.026.

I always wondered why my salt tests always seemed to be lower than stated on the bucket. I say this in relation to perhaps lower than normal levels of trace elements and bringing them back into line. As obviously you wouldn't want to increase SG above normal levels to boost them but if your SG was low then bringing them back into line with NSW may help.

Not wanting to teach how to suck eggs obviously.

Chris

10. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

I only found this out by accident, as I was messing about with my bits and bobs and my old hydrometer was at the bottom of the box. Tested the water with that and hardly moved passed 1.018. 3 water changes later, back up to 1.026, dKH stable at 8 and SPS coming round again and colouring up

Steve

11. Chris J

Chris J Registered

Only found out yesterday so am going to bring things back up and hopefully see some improvements as my calcium levels were too low.

12. heller792

heller792 Registered

chris, were did you get the calibration fluid from. i can only find it at reef dreams but its sold out

thanks, dave

13. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers chaps....lots of posts there...

TDS is 0
    i feed rotifers, or cyclops every few days, i did think maybe nutiurents had bottomed out for a while.

recalibrated my refractometer on saturday,,well checked against ro which was 0

err...i dont use ozone, or uv

lost another sps colony today, but it did look like it was going to go yesterday,
    my green/blue stag off Chris that had just got a foot hold,,has almost stripped too..

what i have done
    checked params.
    changed out around 240 litres
    on 2nd lot of carbon since saturday, and skimming more wet than usual

only just got in so i am going to have a good look at the tank in a mo.

14. Chris J

Chris J Registered

Reefdreams [laugh.gif]

15. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Think its a case of doing what i did check everything and then check it all again and hope you have missed something.

I know exactly what your going through mate as i lost 6 big collonies 2 of which i've had since the beginning and where the size of melons. I very nearly packed it all in i was so hacked off with the constant losses but worked my way through it all and things are beginning to look good again

Keep you chin up
    Steve

16. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers steve,

i know you had summat similar,,,going having a shower, then going to do all my tests again

as above, i have done

checked params on saturday
    changed out around 240 litres
    on 2nd lot of carbon since saturday, and skimming more wet than usual
    checked all pumps for signs of corrosion,
    checked TDS is ok.

its like one finishes stripping then another takes over where it left off,,,getting fed up now [002.gif]

17. dannyw

dannyw Registered

Is it worth getting somebody to hold some of your SPS until you find the problem? the reason I mentioned TDS is somebody on UR had the same issue and there tds meter was faulty.

Danny

18. Ged

Ged Registered

I don't think it is the TDS (although it could indeed be faulty) but I gave Nev some RO water on Saturday, and the chances of two different TDS meters being faulty are pretty low I would have thought. The temp removal of SPS to another tank is an excellent idea imo, although I wouldn't be too confident I could help in that department.

19. dannyw

dannyw Registered

sorry mate didn't realise the RO water had two different sources..

20. Ged

Ged Registered

No worries Danny the more suggestionss there are, may help solve the issue if something has been overlooked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice