1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Tank problems

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by screwloose, Feb 23, 2010.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

as a few of you know i have been having a few tank problems

i noticed Friday that a couple of corals seemed a little off,

so on saturday, i did a 120 litre water change, followed by another yesterday of the same, so totaling 240-ish litres,

in the meantime corals got worse, i have already lost at least half a dozen sps frags, 2 sps colonies, with some other sps colonies
    looking decidedly ropey.

fish look fine, zoas look fine, euphillia has been relatively small since this kicked off,,yet hammers at the side looked ok,,until tonight where they look a little sad..

all parameters looked fine on saturday when i did my full range of tests, also logged these in my tank test page,

i am at a loss as things still look to be going southward, with a few more sps colonies slowly stripping in the last 24 hours.

i added 25ml of TT potassium iodide on Thursday last week which was well below recommended dosage, and that is the only thing i have done...

looking for any enlightenment as to something i may have missed, before i lose the tank ??
    i have also added 1kg of carbon, to try and help deal with whatever it could be

any help much appreciated, could be a schoolboy error i have overlooked maybe ?

many thanks
    Nev

2. Realist

Realist Registered

What have you changed over the past 2-3 weeks. I know you have taken the nitrate reactor off and added the rings. What is your nitrate level doing.

3. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i feel honoured already...lol

26 people reading this [003.gif] ,,, [thumbup.gif]

no3 was 6 on saturday mate,

forgot about the ceramic rings was testing,,but they have been in for around 3 weeks, although i have taken them out tonight as i couldn't think of anything else, other than maybe i have sent nutrients too low ??

i have a sickly feeling its all about to go pete tong... [002.gif]

4. gillyspot

gillyspot Registered

Thing is Nev we will all read it but not really have any answers though.

All I can see is your calc going down but you would know that.

I hope all goes well as your tank is (and hopefully will stay) absolutely stunning.

5. Ged

Ged Registered

Don't know what to say Nev, logically it shouldn't be doing what it is.

Did you find the urchin yet?

6. 4head

4head Registered

What rings had you put in nev? Have you been doing anything different in house or has missis added a new air freshner or new polish. Just thinking is something landing on top of water and absorbing into water coloumn! Cluching at straws I know but I can't think what your going through!

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers Gilly

i have ruled out outside contaminents, polish etc,

temp, ph & dkh stable,,,as you can see on my tests i have been slowly bringing up my dkh over the lst 2 months,

mag, cal both fine,

no3 always below 10, and phosphate looks clear so below 0.03

my head is mashed

oh yeh, and i have a dissapeared urchin,,but it is a while since i seen that ( cheers ged ), so unlees this is hiding it could have died up to 4 weeks ago.

8. 4head

4head Registered

Another straw but nothings bothering your box fish is it?

9. Ding Dang Doo

Ding Dang Doo Registered

Ate you using your normal water Nev? Can't remember if you do your own?

Just clutching at straws...

Lights?

I'm sure you gave thought of all of this already?

Pete

10. Realist

Realist Registered

You using the same salt bucket or have you opened a new one? Just thinking about a rogue bucket.

Did you remove the T5's and add the aquarays?

11. c.argi

c.argi Registered

Sorry to hear about your problems Nev but I'm afraid I can't help either [sad.gif]

What test kit are you using for phosphate?

12. Ged

Ged Registered

I am pretty sure it's the Deltec one Catherine, as Nev measured mine the other day, hence the rowaphos thread.

13. screwloose

screwloose Registered

just tried some ceramic rings like hula hoops, pretty sure they are inert anyways, but have removed now/

my missus knows the score, when she polishes etc,,,sprays onto cloth first,,i do most the cleaning though as she usually at the stables [wink.gif] , & no air fresheners in my living room.

i had a solid blue acro that i had grown from 1 polyp, which was the first to go,, was after 16 months developing into a nice sized colony [crying.gif]

my pride and joy caliendrum with the long polyps, looks link a singed eyebrow,,its a bit wierd

to be honest, thats why until now , i hadn't posted as i was pretty sure i was covering all angles,,but as its not been recovering....all i can say is

I dunno [confused1.gif]

Boxfish looks fine, and never gets picked on
    lights are relatively new

not done a water change since last september Chris, as wasn't really a need, and wouldnt have done one now apart from trying to eliminate a possible problem,

14. gillyspot

gillyspot Registered

Have you taken any water to your local lfs for them to give a second opinion on your tests in case one isnt working right?

Just a thought.

15. screwloose

screwloose Registered

tbh i don't have an lfs, pretty confident on the tests to be honest, as they have maintained these levels within a small degree of movement for a long time.

no3 is pinpoint and phos is D&D

even stripped all my pumps to look for corrosion etc,,incase summat was leaching in

16. 4head

4head Registered

Stumped ,hope it gets better for you bud!

17. screwloose

screwloose Registered

well its gonna go 1 of 2 ways,,, [002.gif]

today was my last spare time until weekend, to try and discover the problem

18. Ged

Ged Registered

Just a thought Nev, you said you cleaned the sump etc

Could anything have fallen in the sump?

19. 4head

4head Registered

I'm not sayin your dog's have flees but you havent de-fleed them or wormed them, or even your donkey?

20. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

hi Nev
    when all the tests have been done like you say, then from what I've read its one of two things either a contaminant ,and carbon together with water changes are the best plan of attack [which i know you are doing] or because you have not been doing water changes there is some trace element or element's that have become depleted ? the problem is we only test for 20% of the trace elements that corals need, and the first corals to suffer are sps when any of these are missing ,if this is the case the carbon wont help, but a water change everyday will ,i can give you a example of this ,alex who used to work at cockfields was loosing a lot of corals mostly sps ,has he lives near me i did 50 litres of my tank water daily for 5 days after that the rtn stopped and his tank was back to normal in just over a week , also corals that had lost colour over a period of time became brighter ,the thing was nev all his test were good ? pete

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice