1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Tank lid

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by xxBATDADxx, Jan 28, 2016.

1. xxBATDADxx

xxBATDADxx Registered

I want to make a cover / lid for my tank. Don't want to use glass would rather use a net type. Has anyone made something like this or purchased one ? Thanks.

2. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

3. bujibanton

bujibanton Registered

Yes these are good. Easy to put together. You can buy all those jumping fish then!?

4. xxBATDADxx

xxBATDADxx Registered

Thank you

5. Saltydan

Saltydan Registered

Sorry to hijack his thread but can you use Perspex as a clear tank cover and will it affect the use of LED's

6. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

You can Saltydan, though it can work out expensive on larger tanks, also you ideally want some type of exchange going on, so putting acrylic over the top may prevent this, I have personally brought one of the above, and stuck acrylic to this as well, I have approx 14" or so gap in the middle of this fitting that has just the netting on it, the "outer" sides have acrylic on them to reduce down the evap.

7. warby

warby Registered

My diy cover....it cost me about £20 and I made 2 x 60cmx45cm covers for my 5ft tank.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Sailor467

Sailor467 Registered

This won't prevent water evaporation tho whereas a glass or acrylic top will

9. xxBATDADxx

xxBATDADxx Registered

I am going to order the simply aquaria one tomorrow.

10. sandyzoo

sandyzoo Registered

+ 1 for this lid. I also have it. Sure there is increased evaporation, but I found much better light penetration as m previous Perspex lid tended to steam up. My zoas certainly appreciated it.. not sure the fish care much :)
    [MENTION=16451]Bluez_01[/MENTION] - Any chance you could post a picture of your modded lid? I'm interested in the Perspex addition. Is this to reduce evaporation?

11. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Yup, I`ll go take a pic now for yer.

Not the neatest job in the world by any means, but it works...
    Obviously you can make them smaller if you wanted too, but it helps keep the evap down as you can see, and I don`t lose a lot of light through the acrylic, even though you can clearly see the build up, if anything I think it helps a little disburse the light more evenly, but that is just my views on it. :biggrin:

Attached Files:

• lid.jpg
      lid.jpg
      File size:
      187.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  12. sandyzoo

sandyzoo Registered

It looks good. Do you mind if I hijack this thread and ask a few questions about your lid?

What was your thinking behind this?
    Does it steam up? Reduce evaporation? Prevent heat loss?

13. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Well its not my thread, so I cant say "Sure hijack away" lol, but I dont think [MENTION=18628]xxBATDADxx[/MENTION] would mind as its another option/idea on modifying the lid, My main reason for the mod was to prevent heat loss to be honest, I run a 300w in the main tank and a 200w in the sump just before the return, so that can be half a killowatt running at any given point, and what with that cold spell a while ago, I decided to try and keep some heat in, I have also purchased some grey pipe lagging, that I plan on putting on the pipes on the back of the tank at some point when I get around to it, again to try and help keep the heat in and keep things more stable throughout.

Initially the acrylic steams up, but after a few hours it turns in to droplets like on the picture, this drops back in to the tank as and when it gets big enough, I made sure that I super cleaned the acrylic before I put it on, as obviously I didnt want any chance of nasty stuff coming off the acrylic back in to the tank, I have had this mod running for about 3 months now, and as of yet I have had no green algae or anything like that build up on it, only evap water.

I may remove it in the summer if heat becomes an issue, but knowing the British weather so well, I doubt we will have any more than 3 weeks of hot weather anyway, but I will play that by ear, the acrylic is only attached on by HA6 Silicon, around the edges, so a sharp knife is all that is needed to remove that part, and then a gentle tug on the middle sections to pull it away from the mesh and it should be back to normal again.

14. sandyzoo

sandyzoo Registered

Very well thought through. I might need to consider doing the same...our electric bill has gone up a LOT since I bought the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice