1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Tank Background

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Aug 26, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Working on a 4'x2'x2' tank for my upgrade. All new equipment bought, just need to sort pipework, background and then set up sump as I want it. Going to do a test with r/o only before the swap over from my Aqua One 350.
    So, had a couple of goes at the vinyl background haven't been happy with the results. I've spoken at length with the place I got it from, they do my van graphics. I'm not sure if it's the right vinyl, the adhesive is clearly visible. After stripping off the original blue vinyl I cleaned the glass with industrial solvent, wash that down with soapy water before final wash with r/o. The vinyl went on bubble free but looked crap, "smears" everywhere. Same second time of trying. Have new cover glasses, did a test with a 3" square piece, same result. I took at look at the offices I fitted out in Chester, they have vinyl graphics on the windows, the black looks flawless from both sides. Sadly, the company who did it aren't forthcoming with product used or technique etc. Anyone done there own black background and can offer any advice please? Thanks

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I know a lot of people paint the back of the tank but I’ve never done it so can’t advise on what type of paint to use.

3. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks. I may look into that option. Finding the thought of the upgrade both exciting and challenging. No experience of dosers, trying to design the sump layout to make it as efficient as possible. Following on from my cheato question think I'm going to try the tmc macro algae reactor to keep more sump space free.

4. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

I have a 500l acrylic tank which I laid on its front and sprayed the outside of the back with 2 shades of blue acrylic paint . As I didn't wait for either shade of paint to dry before switching to the other , they intermingled quiet well I thought creating a 2 tone effect

5. damo666

damo666 Registered

Sounds interesting. I don't know why but I'm not a fan of blue backgrounds, or maybe I've just gotten used to black which is what I have on my current Aqua One 350. Hope I don't change my mind on this because I peeled off perfectly good blue vinyl. That said, the acrylic on the weir was goosed so I have black cut to size and new high flow comb to fix in place, the comb being removable to clean. If my final attempt at vinyl does not prove successful the paint it will be!!

6. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I think blue looks really nice and gives the tank a good look of depth, but needs to be kept clean, it can begin look dirty quite quickly if not. For that reason I prefer black.
    I like the two tone idea though, sounds good.

7. damo666

damo666 Registered

Yeah, never even considered anything other than a solid colour, may have to rethink my strategy on this.

8. McPikie

McPikie Registered

I think blue looks too much like a shop. I've got black and I could see a smear type pattern, but after a while, and with water in, you just can't notice it.

I painted my last tank before this though with standard rattle can black and that worked fine.

9. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks.mate. Slid tank and cabinet forward at the weekend, redid it, looks OK. Sadly, caught something sharp under the centre foot, thought it was hard to slide back. Now have deep zigzag scratches in nice oak laminate floor... . Grrrrr!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice