1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Switching To Led Help

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by dhudson, Mar 3, 2018.

1. dhudson

dhudson Registered

Hi. I have recently switched from T5 to LED lighting. I mostly have soft corals and LPS and I’m wondering how long I should have the light on for. It is a fully controllable LED unit with white lights and blues. At the moment I have them ramping up from blues to full white over an hour period then lights on 80% for six hours. Then ramping down to blues for two hours in the evening . What are your thoughts? thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Hard to say for sure, but if the corals aren’t complaining and you like the look of the light colour then all should be fine,
    If you find your getting more algae growth on the glass than before you could always reduce the white light a bit for a more blue look,,

3. dhudson

dhudson Registered

Thanks for that I will keep an eye on how they are responding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

lps need blue light mainly, so id move more towards that than white, the white will supplement par, but may also promote nusience algae, so becarful

steve861uk and doug_amanda like this.
  5. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Some great advice there and some which I will take on myself thank you :) Tonight I will be reducing the white light on my aquabeam led strips, will make the tank look better and as you say help with the algae :D

taxidermyem likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice