1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Switching from nopox to vodka

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by leopardshark, Dec 4, 2015.

1. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Hello there, I've been thinking of switching from nopox to vodka dosing, mainly because my nitrates have never ever got to 0 they've always remained about 10 ppm, and someone on here advised me that , actually they had better results from dosing vodka.

No I am just wondering how would I make the transition, because I don't want my nitrates to go sky high and I don't want it affecting any of my corals?

Is there a strategy that I could adopt where I can wean the nopox and implement the vodka dosage would that work?

Please can someone (in the know taps nose ) please give me some advice thank you

2. chippypah

chippypah Registered

There are some good articles on dosing vodka, I used to do it but do not anymore.

3. chippypah

chippypah Registered

4. Colin

Colin Registered

I did something similar but from KZ zeo to vodka. No idea if I did it the right way but I read up on vodka dosing and guesstimated my possible working dosage. I cut the zeostart (carbon source) by half and added half my guesstimated dose of vodka. I did that for a couple of weeks and then just flipped over to 100% vodka when the zeostart ran out. I monitored my nutrients quite closely for a while and it turned out I needed to up the dose of vodka quite a bit but I didn't get any issues at all during the transition. That being said at the time my tank was softies only, I couldn't get anything else to grow but that turned out to be a contamination from a faulty magnet housing on a Vortech.

If I was to do it now I think I would do something similar but in say 10% steps rather than two 50% leaps.

5. Reefitup

Reefitup Registered

I would fade the nopox out slowly say 1/2ml a week and replace that with 1/2ml of vodka just keep an eye out for any bacteria bloom that make your tank look cloudy or cyano out brakes

6. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

So what's the best vodka??? To use ???

7. Reefitup

Reefitup Registered

It doesn't really matter as long as it's not flavoured and is distilled. I use Smirnoff red label which I think is about 80% proff. Have a read of this just in case I miss something.Reefkeeping Online Magazine - Chemistry

8. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

So I got my vodka 37.9 vol

Now I need to formulate a strategy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  9. Reefitup

Reefitup Registered

Smirnoff is 37.5 I think which is close enough. Just don't change things to quickly my friend and once your nitrate hits zero half the dose and that will be your maintenance dose

10. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

So I'm going to decrease nopox by 1 ml and start dosing Vodka at 0.5 ml that's until it hit 0.ppm when it dose I'll decrease nopox another ml

11. Reefitup

Reefitup Registered

No fade out nopox slowly and what you take out in nopox replace that with vodka, I would swap out 1/2ml a week until you are only dosing vodka and keep an eye on your nitrates to see what they are doing if they're not at 0 then increase by 1/2ml of vodka a week until they do then half the total amount for your maintenance dose.i got up to 14ml of vodka a day in my 1000ltr aquarium until it hit 0 then halved that for my maintenance dose

12. Colin

Colin Registered

To maintain ULNS I used to dose 2ml of zeostart every day (1000l tank), I need to dose 15ml of vodka to keep the same levels. Remember you already have a bacteria populated tank with the nopox, if you swap out equal volumes of nopox with vodka you'll likely get a die off which will mean less nutrient uptake.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried upping the nopox a little to get your nutrients down? Far less chance of anything going wrong

13. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Yeah but I'm at the maximum and the moment , I upped it and I seemed to have a reading on nitrite so .. I decreased it to 10 ml I have a 250 litre system roughly. So what I'm worried about is that 10 ml of nopox would equate to 2 ml of vodka ??????

So I'm not sure if I should swap out 1 ml for 1 ml ???

14. Reefitup

Reefitup Registered

Have you tried vodka dosing?

15. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

No I'm about too someone told me they had better results with it

16. Colin

Colin Registered

Yes for the last 2 years

17. Colin

Colin Registered

Vodka won't be any better than nopox or any other carbon source, just different. Nopox is more likely to sustain a multi species bacteria colony than vodka because it has more than one source of carbon in it. I've thought of using vodka, sugar and vinegar mix but to be honest I'm frightened of changing anything now. I wish I'd stuck with the KZ Zeo method, it was cheaper Hysterical

18. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Oh so not worth switching ???

19. Reefitup

Reefitup Registered

Sorry I read your message wrong. I do think vodka or vinegar is better for nitrate lowering as long as it's done slowly there won't be an issue

20. Reefitup

Reefitup Registered

Read randy's article he is a chemist and a reef keeper. I think from the issue of nopox not lowering nitrate to a zero level speaks for it's self were I have reached 0 with vodka go figure

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice