1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Swap over

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by dragonet, Jan 22, 2014.

1. dragonet

dragonet Registered

Would like opinions n suggestions on the matter , I am going to b changing my tank very soon, want to swap all over to bigger tank as I can't get access to all of the glass to clean it, very annoying, would u say a swap over will cause a cycle? Or am I good to keep going with small regular water changes to help dilute the crud that gets churned up , I also want to put an anemone in there in a month or so

2. jack_kemp

jack_kemp Registered

i would give it more than a month. A swap shouldnt cause another cycle as long as everything is kept wet, but the disruption of the sand bed can cause some issues.

3. dragonet

dragonet Registered

Can leave the sand bed n put a new 1 in , cup out of the old sand bed to kick start it,

4. 44ark

44ark Registered

ive just brought a secound hand tank and moved it and its cuased the start of a cycle by the looks of my params ive started dosing nopox straight away and running rowa to combat it though

5. 44ark

44ark Registered

Also been told Special blend can help?

6. warby

warby Registered

When i upgraded my tank i drained most of the water out then lr in the new tank took fish out and i cleaned the sand with tap water then rinsed it in ro water put it in the tank after putting the lr in place and topped up with new sand. I put the external filter i was running on the old set up on the new tank for about 6weeks to give the sump a chance to build up bacteria

7. Darren@BigBlue

[email protected] Registered

I'd be careful with that if I were you..... :D:beer:

8. dragonet

dragonet Registered

Dya think it wise to setup a new system with rock , sand , let it cycle then add rock n coral from tank I hav now then acclimatise the fish n cuc ? Means havin 2 ranks runnin for a month or 2 but that's ok with me

9. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

ive set up a small tank with new sand, old water and rock from the other tank and not had any issues yet, in the new one are my clowns a bubble coral and a few zoas. seems fine at the moment.

10. dragonet

dragonet Registered

I've done that myself in past , only thing is my new tank is bowt 100 ltr, n my tank now is 20. I'm going to put a 6 inch sand bed in it n hide pipework of a closed loop system in it so no powerheads , all this for your anemone. , but the 20 ltr water I hav won't even wet the sand to the top so it will all b fresh water

11. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

ha yeah i see your problem now, it would end up practically having new water in unless you waited months and used old water changes to fill it, mine was the other way around 3 water changes and it was nearl full. Im not sure how you would go on with this but id say for sure the more mature things you use the better, water rock

12. dragonet

dragonet Registered

I reckon I could ask for water from a mature tank when some 1 is doing a water change but only thing with that is getting un wanted nastys in the water. .

13. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

It would be quicker to put as much mature water in as you could now and then fill with new, you will have a cycle but using your old rock might help out and hopefully shouldnt last long.

14. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

yeah i was thinking the same thing, i only change 13 litres a week so im not much help there. some one who does large water changes could help though. obviously everyone has different params but im sure it would be ok.

15. dragonet

dragonet Registered

I will hav to buy a load of new live rock anyway as the new tank will jus look bare , that's y I was thinking start a fresh system as it will cycle for sure , that way I know the new rock is mature b4 I put anything in and then when it's done introduce my rock with corals on it and fish

16. dragonet

dragonet Registered

Suppose I could do both , put the new live rock in with some1's big water change

17. jas

jas Registered

You can avoid a cycle by using live sand in your new tank, your current LR and to be sure Seachem Stability worked like a charm for me. This combo guarentee's no cycle, I've done it more than once.

18. dragonet

dragonet Registered

I hav sand I could put in new tank, bowt 2.5 kg, I probably will b using close to 50kg in new tank , n all my corals r stuck to my live rock so if it had a cycle they would pay the price ,

19. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

Hi mate glad you commented im sure ive read that you put a nem in before the usual 6-12 months recommended time as they say with no issues. [MENTION=17964]dragonet[/MENTION] is hoping to house a nem in his new setup.

20. dragonet

dragonet Registered

My small tank has some of my 1st rock In it so it's over 3 years old , but it's new to the tank it's in now , say new it's been in there. For 3-4 months , so suppose I cud keep anemone in small tank til new 1 is ready

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice