1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Sump Suggestions For Juwel Lido 200 Tank

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by Jayhall_74, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Jayhall_74

Jayhall_74 Registered

Hi, I have been an enthusiast for years now, but fresh water, I have the Juwel Vision 450 tank (fresh water) and wanted a reef tank to match so went for the Juwel Lido 200 so it all matches in my lounge. So in my Lido 200 (had for about 6 months) i have the juwel skimmer, the factory heater and filter, a AI Prime light(I have downloaded professional settings from the web, but not sure which is the best for my situation) and a wave maker OW-10.

I want to keep corals as well as fish, my problem is only Branching soft corals, Bubble corals and mushrooms seem to survive, I have tried other like Zoanthus and others that i cant remember the name of, but they all die. My fish are all ok, my clean up crew are all good,, and i do the usual water changes with water from a very good supplier (Kraken Corals) so my thinking is i should get a sump or wet dry or maybe something else to improve things in my tank so i can take it to the next level. My tank at the moment looks very bland and boring and could really do with some help from you guys. I am not a rich man btw :)

I have seen over hanging systems, obviously i watch Tanked and have seen all kinds of high end systems, but haven't really seen anyone using the Lido 200 tank with a proper water sorting system. So please give me some advice :)

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Sumps are a great thing for a reef tank but there are some super tanks without sumps,
    I’m not sure if there’s a sump specific to your tank, you may have to get one custom made, I would imagine Don at Kracken would know someone who could do it, Barlow aquatics in Accrington used to do custom builds but I’m not sure if they are still there or not. It’s not an easy job to add a sump to a live tank as it needs to be drilled unless you use something like an overflow box.
    I would first look at lighting and your light schedule or if you have enough of it,, the corals you mentioned can survive without a great deal of light whereas zoas are much more light dependant as well as those all important water tests.

3. Jayhall_74

Jayhall_74 Registered

Thanks for the reply Doug,, Don and the crew at Kraken Corals have always been good to me,, they said the AI Prime HD would be enough for my tank, i was going to go for the Hydra 26, as it it was they use in the shop, but obviously money difference was an issue, but again like i said i was told the Prime HD would be ok. As for lighting schedules, I have downloaded a few settings from the AI website.. Yes I am pretty sure Barlows are still there :) so how would an overflow box be added do you think?

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

An overflow box just hangs onto the back of the tank,, I’ve never had one but I do know there’s good and bad ones so worth doing your homework :)

5. shazants

shazants Registered

upload_2018-12-7_10-26-58.png

Just posted this on another thread... handy I am a little bored at work! ..... I just bought 22mm white pvc pipe and connections from Screwfix and the sump (£25 small tank) from Barlows ... (he is brilliant for pieces of glass or custom tanks!) Don't forget to buy a NON RETURN VALVE for the return line!

The cost is next to nothing compared to the overflow boxes on the market :) ... which means more £££'s for fish and coral! :-D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice