1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Sump Designs For A 24x24x24 Cube

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by jonjoe, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jonjoe

jonjoe Registered

Hi,

I have just purchased a new tank but need to build a cabinet and I want to build my own sump.

I have built my own sump for a corner tank before but haven't kept a marine tank for a few years so wanted a bit of advise as I bet a lot has changed.

Has anyone else got a sump in their cube setup as I can imagine a Quebec sump would be different to a normal sump.

Any links or advise would be great

Happy to be back

Jon Joe

2. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

My display tank is the same as yours and the sump was custom built for the previous owner (see below.....as you can see it fills the entire bottom of the stand/cabinet):

[​IMG]

The back left corner is for the overflow pipe from the weir above it fed into a 7" filter sock, this then flows into the front compartment via a bag of rowacarbon (sandwiched between the glass outflow).
    In the front compartment I have a BM Curve 5 Skimmer on the left and a lot of chaeto algae on the right with lots of siporax filter media underneath it.
    The front compartment then runs into the back right in which I have a reactor for phosphate removal and my return pump supplying water back into the display.
    The large compartment you see on the right is for ATU water.

Things I would change are:
    The back left (overflow from system) has glass the same height all the way around = potential to flood (if for some reason the outflow from here got blocked)! Therefore I'd loose at least an half an inch of glass at the front so it sits lower.
    I'd stick another couple of glass sheets in the front compartment thus making it 2x separate areas (1x for skimmer and 1x for refugium)

Pic below is pre changes as listed above (i.e. pre reactor addition, siporax and chaeto algae):

[​IMG]

3. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Just had a thought :rolleyes:? You may have a cube tank, but you don't have to have a cube stand :). By going bigger you can have whatever (sized, design) sump you want and have room for all your gear, with the option to accommodate a bigger tank on top in the future (should you wish) :D.

alex43 likes this.
  4. Afonso

Afonso Registered

Don't have any links but here is mine diy sump inspired by trigger sumps and primo reef

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same size as your tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

As Mrs Brown would say "That's nice"

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice