1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Sump Design

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Sep 16, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hi all. Long story short (ish).
    Got talked into an upgrade that I didn't want. I did want to upgrade, just the 4x2x2 tank and cabinet didn't really do it for me. Initially said no straight away, mate and son said at least go and look at it, 90 mile round trip....still didn't like it. Still hear my son saying "Dad, with your skills you can make it look great". 1 week later he asked if he could have my existing tank lol!
    That was April. Cabinet re-clad in oak to match room, all equipment ready in cabinet. Last weekend as "frustration avoidance" (self employed and more or less every weekend something stops me working on it) I gave him 350ltr tank cabinet, fish, corals, rock....and water of course.
    So to my sump. When I moved across to the salty stuff from discus and plants I transposed, wrongly, a lot of techniques from that and created lots of dead spots in the sump by using sponges, floss, bags of Denitrate etc. I don't want to stick to old habits, but reading gives the same old contradictions always found on any aquarium techniques/designs.
    Baffles. This is one I can't decide on. Over first one or under? My old sump. (aqua one) had a series of small baffles across the first camber, which on reflection couldn't do much with as only 4" square. New sump is symmetrical so to speak, each end having an under nearest the end glass and an over 1.5" away from that. Also, upon filling it to clean, it doesn't have much depth, 9" at best, so heater placement can only be side on in centre section. I realise that the small volume is to allow overflow from tank as it's a 3 pipe system (herbie??). Didn't need so much before with a durso.
    I am trying to decide what to do regarding cheato. I've been eyeing up the TMC cheato reactor to give me free space in that middle chamber, in conjunction with v2 fluidised sand filter, also have this. Other option is to put a deep sand bed, possibly and only if good practice, and cheato in the centre instead. Maybe because of the previous depth of water in my old sump, this one looks so shallow. The over baffle in the centre section only stands just under 7" high. Overall depth of water I'm expecting when I get it running is 8". Sump measures 33" x 18" x 15" high. Centre section is 10" wide. Not sure whether to add an over baffle before the under one slightly higher each end to lift level.
    No experience of good sump layout and don't want to be messing around after it's set up so would really appreciate any help. Given it a lot of thought, but as you'll gather from the essay don't know what would be best. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

your sump sounds very similar in design and size to the sump on my last tank and in my opinion the design is sound and doesn’t need to be changed, the way I had mine set up was the first chamber housed the water inlet, rowaphos reactor and skimmer, (I did initially have the reactor on the outside of the sump but I was worried one day it may leak so squeezed it in with the skimmer)
    In the second (middle chamber) I had the heaters, miracle mud and cheato lit by a cheap 6500k energy saving bulb and the last chamber housed only the return pump.
    Somewhere I hung a media bag with carbon but can’t remember where, (don’t think it matters)

Deep sand beds work very well but if not deep enough or maintained properly can cause some serious problems which is why i opted for miracle mud over a dsb,

3. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Just to add that layout worked very well and although the design of my current sump is different I have set it up in much the same way.

4. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks, I've decided not to mess around with it other than add a shelf of egg crate where it flows into the middle chamber to sit floss or media bags. Funnily enough I was in my lfs this afternoon discussing the deep sand bed v fluidized sand reactor. His advice was to forget both of them and use miracle mud instead. So, thanks again for your reassuring advice, I'll stop over thinking it and go with that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice