• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Sump Cracked

dom3454

Registered
Hi all just need a little advice. I was sat watching tv when I heard a bang coming from my tank. My sump had cracked the full length of the bottom piece of glass. Firstly what can be done to repair it or is it a new sump job? And secondly why would a sump just crack full length like that? It is quite an old tank. Any help would be great. It's all drained now nearly so not in a major rush as the stressful bit is over lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

doug_amanda

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like a new sump needed, you could possibly silicone a new piece of glass over the crack but that may be more trouble than it's worth, a picture of the sump and crack would help.
Possible reason could be that the sump isn't sat on a flat/level base
Just a thought but Have you moved heaters from the sump to the display?

dom3454

Registered
The sump is on polystyrene so that should prevent that shouldn't it? Also not moved any heaters. It literally cracked from 1 end in the middle to the other end bottom corner. It's been in place for about 2 years+. The sump is about 3 foot long maybe a little bigger

northernreefa

Registered
You need a new sump, don't bother trying to patch it up as by its very nature glass is extremely brittle...glass can crack for a number of reasons...not be laid on a level surface, weight displacement, a flaw in the glass, temperature extremes, the list is endless

dom3454

Registered
No worries. Might treat myself to a new tank lol. Was gonna wait til I move but this is a bit of a issue

northernreefa

Registered
Also would it be possible to just replace the full bottom piece.

Yes it would be possible to replace the bottom piece only but it would mean getting out the razor blade to cut it free from the silicon...bit of a ball ache though

dom3454

Registered
Sump repaired and running well. Took the opportunity to move baffles a bit as well to suit my needs a little more. Very easy to replace glass.

steve861uk

Registered
Cracked mine last night whilst trying to cut out a small section with a tile saw :mad::confused:.

Luckily is just a baffle that cracked diagonally, so I will trim the bit off I needed to and then use sealant to replace the rest :).

I had to trim it as the person who designed/made it decided to put the baffles from the first section (overflow/input from tank) at the same height as the sump......therefore if the baffle ever got blocked it would flood the living room :eek:o_O:(. Although I now have a bigger hole in the baffle than planned, at least there will be no flood :).