1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Sump Algae

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Dec 16, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Had my tank running since beginning of October. Refugium going well. Display tank coming along nicely with no worries However, in the sump, mainly the first chamber where the sock and skimmer are I'm getting long string dark green algae strands coming off the sock, and clumps of bubbles in a clear mucus around the chamber.....put simply snot with bubbles in. Now, I don't know whether this is simply one stage of the maturing process or a problem. I'm kinda pleased that I'm getting very low nitrate and phosphate readings, but a little concerned about this sump algae. I'm known for being fussy and liking things clean. Not had a refugium before so no experience of them......I can understand that the light being on for 12hrs will cause algal growth, just don't like the look of the darker stuff coming off the sock and the clear gunk with bubbles in it. Thanks for any advice you can give me

2. Darren@BigBlue

[email protected] Registered

Do you light the sump?

3. damo666

damo666 Registered

Yes Darren, I have a 6500k halogen mini floodlight (20w) on a reverse cycle. Comes in at 11pm, off at 11.00am

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

if the algae is growing well it will be reducing your nitrates and phosphates for you
    i would think its just part of the cycle

5. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks Jim. I was thinking along those lines myself. But as I mentioned I've not had a refugium before. In hindsight my last sump must have been a nitrate factory every chamber full of either sponges, alfagrog, rock or Denitrate. Good lessons learnt keep it simple.

6. jim_fitz

id let it grow myself

and if it gets real bad try feeding it to your fish

its a free filter and possibly free food xx

7. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hmmm, fish food, never thought of that. Great idea! Especially since I added a gold rush tang at the weekend and reading guidance on their care they like a lot of greens in their diet. Nice one Jim

8. jim_fitz

Should love it

9. damo666

damo666 Registered

Maybe. .. Only thing is I'm going to hate actually ADDING grungy green crap to my lovely clean display tank when most of the past times all I've done is try to get rid of it lol.

10. jim_fitz

seems wrong i know

damo666 likes this.
  11. damo666

damo666 Registered

12. shazants

shazants Registered

Lol, yeah my fuge/sump area is similar and seems to go through phases different algea's growing in there.... but so long as it stays in there ill be happy...... a couple of years ago i tried adding some of the algea to the main tank to feed a tang... didnt work out that well so think ill leave it where it is!

13. damo666

damo666 Registered

Nice one shazants. Yeah, gave it some thought and decided to leave it just where it is now. Although the chaeto is growing well, so is the algae so in the new year I'll try a different light ..... Although the floodlight is rated at 6500k which from what I've read is the correct spectrum, it does appear very bright white, so may be contributing to the good algal growth as well. Don't laugh, I know chaeto is an algae lol......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice