• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Suitable CUC stock?

phildavies21

Registered
Im after opinions on how much and what i should stock for a 200 litre tank CUC wise. I enquired about snails and was told that roughly 1 snail to 1 gallon. is this true coz id need like 43 snails? Anyway heres what ive stocked so far.

1 Fire shrimp
2 Red hermits
3 Turbo snails

Next week I was thinking of adding

1 boxer shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp

And any opinions on what I should get and In what quantities I should have would be very appreciated.

Ged

Registered
I would add some more hermits possibly maybe another 5 or so.

Bumblebee snails, ceriths, nassarius are all good clean up crew for detritus.

phildavies21

Registered
Ged said:
I would add some more hermits possibly maybe another 5 or so.

Bumblebee snails, ceriths, nassarius are all good clean up crew for detritus.

And what ammount of bumblebee, ceriths and nassarius should i get for a tank that size?

Ged

Registered
Possibly about 5 of each I would have thought. They all do different jobs in the tank.

naibrand

Registered
When i had my boxer i was told not to add with cleaners as they can become naughty over time, my boxer would also sometimes have a go at my hermits

Reefcubeboy

Registered
Yep boxers will be rough on smaller shrimp species....blue leg or carribean boxers, being a lot smaller , could be a safer option, though still risky...
I wouldn't add any more turbo snails unless you have any nuisance algae problems or else they could slowly starve

phildavies21

Registered
ok heres what i think im going to go for just let me know what you think. This lot will be stocked slowly over the next couple of months nice and slowly.

1 x fire shrimp
1 x peppermint shrimp
2 x cleaner shrimps
1 x blue linkea sea star
1 x tiger tail cucumber
2 x red scarlet hermits
3 x blue knuckled hermits
10 x ceriths
10 x nassauris
5 x bumblebee snails

Thanks.

phildavies21

Registered
phillipo46 said:
ok heres what i think im going to go for just let me know what you think. This lot will be stocked slowly over the next couple of months nice and slowly.

1 x fire shrimp
1 x peppermint shrimp
2 x cleaner shrimps
1 x blue linkea sea star
1 x tiger tail cucumber
2 x red scarlet hermits
3 x blue knuckled hermits
10 x ceriths
10 x nassauris
5 x bumblebee snails

sorry minus the cucumber! dont want it now!

Thanks.

Kev

Registered
All looks good except for the Blue Linkea. This star fish needs very very good water quality. I would miss this one for now and add later when your reef tank is much more mature and stable.

Clearwater

Registered
Looks like plenty for 200L

may be better to add some each week
if there are no fish, may not be enough food to start with
depends on the LR

Hi thats list looks fine to me but from my experience blue knuckles can get very aggresive when they get to a bit bigger size i had 100 come in a few months back and struggled to house them all as they did not get on in a 3ft system it was carnage i had to dot them around all my tanks and then thy still picked on other crabs in the tank with them.

I would stick to scarlets,micros,halloweens and algae hermits as they all tend to be less aggressive towards other tank mates but all hermits will scrap over shells if you dont put a few emptys in there for them to grow in to.

Marine Life UK

Registered
blue linker wants a established tank ideally like 6mths maybe a year.
Some Cucumbers can be an issue if they die not sure about that one though.
peppermints do better for eating aips in groups maybe 2 or three ideally, youll probably never see them either.

Javahart

Registered
1 x fire shrimp [001_smile.gif]
1 x peppermint shrimp [001_smile.gif]
2 x cleaner shrimps [001_smile.gif]
1 x blue linkea sea star [sad.gif]
2 x red scarlet hermits [001_smile.gif]
3 x blue knuckled hermits [sad.gif]
10 x ceriths [001_smile.gif] but start with 5
10 x nassauris [001_smile.gif] but start with 5
5 x bumblebee snails [001_smile.gif]

phildavies21

Registered
Javahart said:
1 x fire shrimp [001_smile.gif] (Stocked)
1 x peppermint shrimp [001_smile.gif] (Stocked But Believes It May Be Dead As I Havn't Seen It)
2 x cleaner shrimps [001_smile.gif] (Stocked)
1 x blue linkea sea star [sad.gif] (Decided Against)
2 x red scarlet hermits [001_smile.gif] (Stocked 5)
3 x blue knuckled hermits [sad.gif] (Decided Against)
10 x ceriths [001_smile.gif] but start with 5 (Not Stocked Yet)
10 x nassauris [001_smile.gif] but start with 5 (Not Stocked Yet)
5 x bumblebee snails [001_smile.gif]
(Not Stocked Yet)