1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Steve's SPS Reef Look out I'm Salty again. New pics 14/01

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by stevebibby, Nov 20, 2010.

1. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Update time again

Well after near on a year of struggling with my husbandry I finally gave up!
    No not on reef keeping but on trying to control the bioload. I blame myself for it as all these brightly coloured fish in the LFS are so inviting and as we all buy them as small fish the grow and grow and before we know whats happened it's a 6" waste prodction machine!

So after much soul searching I decided that it was time for a complete change.

All the fish, soft corals and my beloved Nem went up for sale and within a week they where all gone and I was left with and empty tank with just a selective amount of LPS and SPS.

I'd taken a week off work to redecorate the house so inbetween rooms I set about rescaping the tank.

All the rock came out, new coral sand on top of the existing and the purchase of a big piece of plating live rock. 80% water change then 6 hours later it had really began to take shape, then began loading up with my existing corals.It looked empty!!!!! I then did my first water test PO4>0.03 and NO3>5 Result!!!!

Unfortunatly I had to carry on with the decorating for the rest of the week so the tank was left untill the Friday and then time to spend some money.

A couple of emergency messages to ReefAddict and it was round to his over the weekend for some frags. Came away with half a poly box full and spent the rest of the evening being help by the Mrs in the placement of them, this resulted in about 1/3 of the scaping complete but still a lot of work to be done.

I spent the next few days tinkering with bits and pieces but was not entirely happy with thw bare side of the tanks rockwork, so Tuesday it was off to my LFS for a piece of plaing reef bones as a few people had said he had some really nice pieces in. Once there it was out with the tape measure and ended up comming home with the 3rd largest piece (about 18" x 13") as the one I wanted when I walked into the shop was way to big.

Another tnnker with the other side of the rocks and after about an hour it was sorted, had to lose a big piece of live rock to keep the hight of everything down and created a few shelves for coral placement. A happy bunny so to speak.

I've picked up a few more frags during the course of the rest of the week that still need milliputing into place, then I'll have to start thinking about filling up the bare side with corals.

Anyhow enough for now and I'll get some pic's up when I get home from work

Steve

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Re: A NEW Beginning

good to hear mate :thumbup1:

as we have seen quite a few times its sometimes best to do a rejig of the setup, layout etc, to make it work better

its daunting, and a lot of work. But long term pays dividends for your efforts :biggrin:

look forward to the piccies

3. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Cheers Nev

I'm a lot happier with how it looks and now the nems gone I can really load up with SPS.
    I did shed a bit of a tear once it went as I'd had it for nearly 5 years and become part of the family

4. Dan1

Dan1 Registered

Sound like its gonna be good mate, cant wait for the pics. I ll get a frag of the plate mycidiem done asap pal.

Dan

5. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Cheers bud.
    I've already allocted it a place amongst the rest of the LPS with enough room for the sweepers

6. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Appreciate it's hard to restart but I am sure you'll see the benefits soon.
    Looking forward to some pics and updates.
    James

7. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

It's not been too bad at all TBH. Nice to sit back after changinging something and feel good about what I've done.

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Glad you are all happy and all that, but come on, not one picture smiley-sex020

Get that camera out smiley-sex020smiley-sex020smiley-sex020

9. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Give me chance Tina, I'm hard at work today.
    Promise I'll do some later when I get home

10. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

won,t believe you till we see some piccies :wink::yahoo:

11. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Will hold you to that :biggrin:

12. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

bit of a bummer when work gets in the way of important things like caring for your hobby:wink:

13. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

The joys of selling Toyota's for a living. At least I can spend 4 hours a day on here.

14. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Best car I ever had was a Toyota, Celica 1.8ST in the purple / Blue metallic flippy paint. Still had all the original exhaust system when I sold it at 10 years old. Put a wonderful set of TSW Rib alloys 16" on it, mine had the spoiler too, some of the ST did not.

Serviced it, Brakes, and washed it, and fitted an alternator, that was all that was ever done to it. I got it at 5 years old, had it for 5 years.

I really loved that car, and it matched my nail varnish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. kermit kills

kermit kills Registered

lol ive got a toyota lucida 8 seater import a great car for my brood but parts so expencive need a new blower motor for the heater as the weathers getting bad lol

16. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

As Promised

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  17. JayTee

JayTee Registered

Don't know what your old tank was like Steve but I'm liking this one :thumbup1:

18. swin

swin Registered

this is starting to look good steve keep up the good work

19. Ged

Ged Registered

WOW - Looks completely different Steve, will be superb once it grows out. :thumbup1:

Good luck mate, hopefully things will work out for you this time around.

20. Realist

Realist Registered

Looks great well done Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice