1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Starting Up Marine

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by bluepikerman, Sep 29, 2018.

1. bluepikerman

bluepikerman Registered

I am looking at getting into marine after years of tropical fish keeping.
    I was set on getting the fluval evo but after doing some research i am wondering whether to go with a sumped tank.
    I want to have the tank built into a wall that boxes in my staircase so to be able to do any maintenance the tank can only be about 11 inches from front to back. Overall 2ft long x 11in deep x 1ft high.
    The sump would also only be able to be 11inches front to back back but could be longer than 2ft.
    I have no experiance with sumps so as a complete begginer am i best to go with the fluval or sumped tank and how big does the sump have to be.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Personally I would go with a sumped tank for more water volume and somewhere to hide equipment rather than in the display, as for size the sump only needs to be big enough for the equipment your using, skimmer, heaters, reactor, return pump. the bigger it is the more options you have.

3. bluepikerman

bluepikerman Registered

So make the sump as big as possible?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Yes bigger is better :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice