1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Star Fish Help.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Sorted7, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

DD4C37D6-93D9-4F03-9A8A-095003479975.png Hi, i have a 67l Nano tank with only a couple of fish, clean up crew and corals. I brought a starfish some time ago and have forgotten the name of it, I haven’t seen it since but now and then see the odd tentical coming out of the rocks. It wasn’t the normal star it one that has a small round body and long legs/tenticals. I was looking at my tank today and noticed a tentical coming from the rocks, it looks a lot bigger then when I got it and was wondering if some could identify the star I am describing and tell me if it is ok in my tank. All help would be greatful. I don’t know what I would do without this website as it’s helped me out so much.

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Sounds like it maybe a brittle star you have,
    That looks more like a bristle worm than a starfish but it could be just the blurry picture

3. doug_amanda

54590178-4524-47C7-A54D-62F5FE16C6ED.jpeg

Bristle worm

4. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Hi, that’s just what it looked like. And I’ve just googled the brittle starfish and that is what I brought. This may sound like a really silly question but Where would the worm have come from?. I know the star lost a tentical after a month of having it but this isn’t possible is it. Thanks again for help

5. doug_amanda

Bristle worms just arrive, they come on live rock, coral Frags, just about anything you add to your tank.
    The vast majority of tanks will have them.
    Only a problem when they get big.

6. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Ok, are they any harm to the tank and the things in the tank?.

7. doug_amanda

They’re scavengers so good clean up crew, although other people’s opinions may differ. I’ve heard of people say big ones can kill sleeping fish but that’s just hearsay,
    Shine a red light into your tank well after dark and you’ll probably see lots of them, as well as a whole host of other weird creatures.

8. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

Oh well really that’s amazing I will do that tonight. Just looking in there now I’ve notice a tube worm on a rock I brought! I’ve only been doing marine nearly a year and every day amazes me. My clown today has also started laying on my fuzzy green mushroom! I thought it was dead lol, but am I correct in saying it has started to host it.

9. doug_amanda

Sounds like it :ARMS1::ARMS1:

10. Sorted7

Sorted7 Registered

That’s good. Thank you again so much for your advice and help. I appreciate it so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice