1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured SPS Beginner by vix

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Vix, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Vix

Vix Registered

Water parameters today:
    NO3-0.2 dosing Nopox 1 ml per day, I'm going to stop dosing as I want to try to bring this up a little
    PO4- 0.25 to high, I will change out rowaphos this week
    Ca- 450 finally within normal limits
    Alk- 7.7 this has remained stable since last week, so I shall continue with 30mls per night
    Mag- 1410 slowly dropping
    Ph- 8.3

Overall the parameters are coming in line and settling. The algae seems to be browning and dying off so no changes to the lighting this week. As I said before the tank is looking ugly at the moment but hopefully on the turn to how it was before I changed the lights over, once the algae has gone I can start coral shopping and increasing the blues to make it more appealing to my eyes.

2. Vix

Vix Registered

I am in despair, diatoms have taken hold big time as well as algae. I do not love this tank or hobby at the moment. The tank is ugly again.

3. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Looking at all your parems, they look sweet bar the p04, alk. 7.7 that's great.
    The lights I Have the same. using recommended setting. You say your using someone else settings?

4. Vix

Vix Registered

Hi Phil, thanks for looking over my thread. The parameters on paper I am happy with but the tank tells me different. I just changed out the rowaphos to see if that makes a difference, as there is an imbalance between No3 and PO4.
    The lighting schedule I found on SB posted by mgreenough under evergrow schedule just as a starting point. As the algae began to grow I have reduced the intensity weekly where it is now about half of where I started.
    It seems I had a decent fowlr tank before and now in changing things to try corals I've messed it all up.
    Anyway I'll leave it a week before I think about anything else, just a but fed up really.

5. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Sucks eh. I Would go back to factory settings. I Have 2 of them on those settings.
    Don't think you have messed it up. your stats say otherwise. Good luck mate :thumbup1:

6. Vix

Vix Registered

Thanks Phil.

7. Vix

Vix Registered

image.jpg image.jpg So I've been on my hols and got a nice tan, left the tank with my big girl, all inhabitants still alive but it looked awful as you can imagine.
    Parameters today are No3 0, Ph4 0.03, silicate 0 ( so not the reason for the algae), Ca 420, Alk 8.6, Mg 1410, Ph 8.3.
    So all really stable.
    Algae is still a problem, I've changed the lighting schedule back to factory settings and cut down the food added, I'm on the attack by moving sand a blowing off the rocks daily.
    Phil do you find you have enough blue with the custom settings, it looks a bit yellow/green at times.
    Water change and clean up today.
    Here's how it looks.
    Also on the up side I won the SB comp for the ATW34 and it arrived this morning.

8. Vix

Vix Registered

I have new things in my tank. Scarlett hawk fish, really lovely and full of character, orange spotted goby which my daughter put in, only seen it once since Monday and a black long spine urchin. Very happy with them all.

9. Realist

Realist Registered

My long spines urchin eat one of my corals as it past over it munching it's way around the tank.

Spiky is his name

10. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

11. Vix

Vix Registered

Thanks, I'll take a look at fluconazole and probably give it a go, algae is everywhere. The orange spot is doing a fab job on the sand it looking clean again. How long has yours been stuck in the weir? Have been a bit lazy with the tank lately, working loads and lots of changes at home. Need to get organised again, small person back at school so have a bit more free time.

12. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Goby was stuck from the end of July until this weekend, so at least 7 weeks or so. I noticed last night that he is no longer in the weir :)

13. Vix

Vix Registered

So woke up to find a crispy goby on the carpet....again, how does it fit through a gap in the screen smaller than itself, so now considering what other sand cleaners I can get.
    I have been looking at mgreenough and galhills threads and both seem to have had massive success with fluconazole for treatment of algae, so I have ordered some to try. Quite a few YouTube videos about, which show amazing results. Can't wait for the package to arrive.
    Parameters today are:
    NO3- 0.1
    PO4- 0.03
    CA-390
    ALK-9.6
    MAG-1350
    PH-8.2
    All ok but not sure why CA is dropping, I think it's because the Alk is getting high, so I'm going to stop dosing the Alk supplement and retest in a week. I don't want to get into the situation of raising the calcium and the crashing the Alk again. Otherwise all ok.
    So now, waiting for the fluconazole to arrive, stop dosing Alk and looking for a new sand cleaner are this weeks agenda.
    When will I ever get a coral in this tank????? Just one would be nice.

14. Realist

Realist Registered

Just searched for Fluconazole and got this result?

Fluconazole can be used to treat thrush for men and women.

Poor fish it must itch a bit.

15. Vix

Vix Registered

It's the same medication but for my tank 10 x the dose. Didn't fancy trying to explain that to the pharmacist or GP so ordered from the states instead. Worked out cheaper even with overseas postage. Just makes me wonder who discovered that putting it in the tank who have this effect. It is used to treat fish infections as well though but as a treatment given over a number of days, this is one larger dose and is said to clear the tank in about 14 days.

16. Vix

Vix Registered

Algae? What algae? Well what can I say, the fluconazole is the algae silver bullet. I would say it took about three weeks but it has gone. I would highly recommend this treatment for tanks with algae issues when the parameters are all in n check and you can't find an explanation. I've got another dose in the cupboard and may use it a couple of times a year just to clear the tank out.
    Parameters today are all good so not changing anything.
    Still have a problem with red slime/cyano/diatoms (which ever one it is) so going to stop dosing nopox to see if the lack of carbon helps, could do with bringing NO3 up a bit, currently at 0.2.
    The hawk fish and file fish fell out and I lost the file fish, just waiting to see if I now get an aiptasia bloom before I replace it, would like to try a peppermint shrimp again to save the fish place for something prettier.
    I'm even starting to think about coral shopping again so that this tank thread can live up to its title, all in all happy with my tank at the moment. Again I've promised myself to try to get into a better routine of looking after it... we'll see ha ha.

Afonso likes this.
  17. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Good result on the algae....you just need to get your No3 to Po4 ratio in balance and your tank will be happier (and so will you :)).

I had a similar problem when dosing nopox, I now have No3 = 4ppm and Po4 = 0.04 (and for now all is good :)).

18. Afonso

Afonso Registered

Good to hear that everything is back on track, just be aware wend you buying your peppermint shrimp that there is a few species being sold in LFS but only one actually eats aips. I've learned this the hard way lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Vix

Vix Registered

Update today... conquer one problem to focus on another. I have Dino in the tank, it's official and it's taking over. It's been in for a while but as I was concentrating on the algae I hadn't focused on it. But know the algae has gone it's very noticeable. I treated for cyano last week and it had no effect so I now have to admit it is dino. Gets worse following a water change, gets worse when the lights are on, long and stringy with air bubbles at the end and I'm loosing snails.
    So what to do about it.
    Parameters today are NO3- 0.2, PO4-0.03, Ca-410, Kh-8.6, Mag-1410, Ph-8.1. I have stopped dosing Nopox for a week and have seen no rise in No3 or PO4 so they are still out of balance. I also haven't done a water change since last week as I don't want to stimulate the dino.
    Stupidly I ordered some frags last week following my excitement from removing the algae and the dino has smothered them so it's looks like that was a waste of money again.
    I have ordered some dino x to try, when it comes I'll reduce the lighting and turn off the reactors and dosing pumps during treatment so I expect all the parameters will go out of whack then I'll be back to trying to sort that out again.
    Not a happy aquarist today. Any advice/discussion would be appreciated.

20. Vix

Vix Registered

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I am in love again, the tank is completely clear of any algae/Dino.. the answer do nothing! So tried dino x for 3 weeks and it didn't work also reduced the lighting to six hours a day. So I decided to stop everything, water changes, nopox, Dino x, calcium and alk, I did continue with the rowaphos. After about three weeks it has all cleared up, the dt is looking fresh and crisp and a beautiful thing again. The parameters have all remained stable even the nitrate has remained low. A couple of the frags have survived so I have fixed them in place and hope they take, I'll try some more in the coming months.
    For Christmas I got a temperature controller so next on the shopping list will be some fans to cool in the summer, looking forward to having a more stable temperature through the changing seasons. I was also given a load of lfs vouchers, I have bought a peppermint shrimp and a tiny flame angel which both seem settled.
    As expected since the file fish passed I now have the return of the aptaisia the peppermint doesn't seem to have developed a taste for it yet...still hoping.
    I have now switched back the lighting to a longer photoperiod however max lighting remains six hours with three hours either side of just blues

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice