1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured SPS Beginner by vix

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Vix, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Vix

Vix Registered

Water test today, two days after water change.
    No3- 2 just going to try to maintain this with lower dose of Nopox
    PO4- 0 have just changed rowaphos
    Ca- 490
    Alk- 7.3 this is unchanged, although at the lower end of normal no increase seen with water change, I'll test in 2 days to see if it is dropping anymore, I may need to start dosing this.
    Mag- 1440 this has dropped with w/c diluting the level slowly since overdosing, should start levelling off at some point
    Ph-8.2 still stable even with Alk drop

2. Vix

Vix Registered

Alk has now dropped to 6.7, not sure why this is happening but going to start dosing a small amount every night to try to bring this up.

3. warby

warby Registered

alk will drop with the addition on hard corals and as corraline algae grows. alk is usually the first you see to drop calcium and magnesium will also come down slowly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Vix

Vix Registered

Corraline is growing well, but no coral yet. The clam has had a growth spurt too. Think it might have been the increase in Nopox and bacteria consumption of the nitrate. I have set the doser to add 10 mls a night and I'll check in a few days.

5. Vix

Vix Registered

Algae is still growing all be it slowly so today I have decreased the lighting strength by another 10%, I'll review this again in a weeks time. On a run of nights so not much time for tank tinkering until the weekend but I'll need to squeeze in a w/c and tests to keep on top of the alkalinity decline.

6. Vix

Vix Registered

Alkalinity today is still 6.7 so I have increased the dose to 2 x 10 MLS per night. I'll recheck in two days time

7. Vix

Vix Registered

I have done a water test today.
    No3- 0.2
    PO4- 0.03
    Ca- 480
    Alk- 6.7
    Mag- 1470
    Ph- 8.2

So recently I have been playing with the doser and levels in trying to make the water chemistry as good as possible before I start investing in some sps. All had been stable until a sudden drop in Alk from a very stable 9.3 to 6.7 and I couldn't figure out why. Despite dosing a small amount of alkalinity each night I have not seen this increase.

Last night I read an article called Chemistry and the aquarium: Solving calcium and alkalinity problems on Advanced Aquarist. Very enlightening and clear as a bell, sometimes you just need to find one line in an article to really understand.

In my effort to get to know my dosing pump and bring calcium levels up I had been putting a small amount of calcium in daily, pushing the level far beyond that which the tank in using or needing. This has now caused precipitation of the bicarbonate, (I have great growth of coralline on glass, pumps etc and the clam has grown) but driven the alkalinity down.

The calcium levels as you can see are way higher than needed, I have no corals yet. So now I have stopped dosing the calcium and started dosing alkalinity to try to reach the equilibrium that my tank had before. Just goes to show that meddling for the sake of it is never any good, the lesson I have learned is not to add anything unless absolutely sure that it is necessary. Now I have to wait for the chemistry to correct itself before I can get coral again.

The algae in the tank is still there, only a light covering though, No3 and PO4 are still minimal so today I have reduced the lighting intensity again to try to get on top of this.

All problems in the tank are self made, I don't think the levels will ever be perfect but it's not a textbook it's a living thing, so once I have corrected my mistakes I will bite the bullet and order myself some sps.

8. Vix

Vix Registered

So I did a w/c yesterday and general clean up, nothing unusual. This morning woke up and found my orange spot goby dead and half eaten. Gutted, don't know why he was a hard worker, always ate well and no signs of illnesses. All my other fish look well, even the little chromis who had a bite out of his head a few weeks back.

9. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Sad! those chromis are little assassins imo :(

10. Vix

Vix Registered

I know so bad, loved that fish

11. Vix

Vix Registered

So tested the parameters today
    NO3- 0.2 I'm going to decrease the nopox by half to 1.5 ml to allow this to come up slightly
    PO4- 0.03
    Ca- 460 slowly coming down to normal levels
    Alk- 6.7 still low going to increase Alk dosing from 20 to 30 mls per night
    Mag- 1440 again slowly coming down
    Ph- 8.2 remains stable

Not sure what else to do with the alkalinity hoping to see it begin to increase over the next week with dosing and a water change.

The algae hasn't gone yet so will cut the lights again tomorrow.

I've been looking on line at some coral shops, hopefully tank will settle soon and I can start to stock up, also now looking for a new orange spot to get to work on the sand.

12. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

And your aim for alk. numbers?

13. Vix

Vix Registered

Well it used to sit at 9.3 and really stable but anything above 7 will be good at the moment. Not really got a number in mind just trying to find a balance with the calcium and stop the bicarbonate precipitating on to the pumps.

14. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

I Know a couple of top reefers on here. with kh of 6.7 to 7 with amazing sps growth.
    So your in the ball park

15. Vix

Vix Registered

That's good to know, just want it higher as I don't have sps yet so that I have a wider margin to work with when I start to stock my tank

16. merser

merser Registered

I run at the bottom end of 7 mate. Just seems to settle there tbh, not really intentional but it works! Well it works a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. 372xp

372xp Registered

Mines 8.3, but the point is really that it stays there. As long as what is being used is replaced constantly any figure upwards of 7 and below 9 should be ok.

18. Vix

Vix Registered

I did my usual clean and maintenance on Friday and decided to strip and clean my return pump, it was dirty but went back together and is working as normal. Big sigh of relief! However I did notice that the sump is well over due a clean up, it's such a big job maybe I'll tackle it next month.

Water parameters today are:
    NO3-0.2 still really low so I'm going to cut NOPOX from 2 ml to 1 ml per day
    PO4- less than 0.03 but not quite 0
    Ca- 470 still high
    Alk- 7.7 happy as above 7 now I will continue to dose 30 MLS per night until calcium a bit lower to avoid the precipitation problem I had before
    Mag- 1500 wow! Thought it was on the decline with w/c diluting it not really sure what if anything I should do with this, checked the doser definitely not adding anything as I was before
    PH- 8.2

Still have algae on the rocks, I know it's not out of hand but I didn't have any before I changed the lights over. Even some snails have a covering, I have been dimming the lights for several weeks now but hasn't made a difference, I fear the tank will be in darkness before long. Am I being to critical or should I continue with what I am doing? Nutrients are so low and I've been told before that they need to be higher for happy corals. It seems to be taking forever to be reef ready.

Attached Files:

19. Vix

Vix Registered

So I have dimmed the lights a bit more today to see if I can shift this algae, will wait and see for another week.

My sea cucumber and urchin seem to be taking a real interest in the clam's shell so I guess they're looking for algae to eat which is a good thing. It's shell is sparkling at the moment.

Also just thought I would share a random act of generosity from the LFS yesterday. Went in for the usual RO 25l and was told not to worry about paying for it. They also gave me a couple of pouches of artemia and coepods. Small things make me happy.

20. Vix

Vix Registered

The tank is going through an ugly stage at the moment, the sand is all brown really need to get a new orange spot and the algae is browning too, hopefully this means that the tank is on the turn. I'm going to do a test today just to make sure and do the maintainence and w/c as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice