1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured SPS Beginner by vix

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Vix, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Vix

Vix Registered

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. Vix

Vix Registered

So my last effort to create a Sps tank was successful in that I succeeded in killing everything off. So I am going to try again and create this diary so you can all advise as you wish.

EQUIPMENT.

Lights : Maxspect razor 180 watt on cuprajake's custom settings
    Circulation : Maxspect gyre Xf150 runs from right to left on 2 hour alternating gyre at 70%
    Koralia 3200 on left side back wall
    Temperature: V2 therm 300 digital heater
    Export : Bubble Magus c 5.5 protein skimmer
    H2ocean reactor with eheim compact pump 3000 running rowaphos
    V2 power pump for the return
    I use felt socks which are changed every other day
    About 8% water change every week
    Dosing: Reefdoser EVO 4 ready to go
    Dose NOPOX daily
    STOCK
    Fishes: 3 green chromis
    Orange spot goby
    Fox face
    Cleaner wrasse
    Aptasia eating file fish
    Tangerine Swiss guard
    Inverts: Various snails
    Sand sifting starfish
    Pincushion urchin
    Hermit crabs
    1 emerald crab
    Cleaner, fire and stripped shrimps
    Clam
    Large colony of mushrooms

I think that's everything and everyone.

So following from my post in the help and advice section I am waiting for my new lights to arrive. I am getting Evergrow IT 5012. Very excited. My plan is to stabilise the tank once the lights are running and then have another go with the corals.
    Please feel free to comment.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  3. merser

merser Registered

What's the coral stocking plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Garywright

Garywright Registered

I would go for something fairly easy a nice plating Montipora. Small frags are relatively cheap and You get the satisfaction of knowing your doing it right if they start to flourish. Montis are quite forgiving in water quality and there are some great colours.
    Of course its all personal choice but I'm pretty new to SPS and mine did take a while to start to grow ( 4 months before I really noticed much change) but there doing just fine now.

good luck

5. warby

warby Registered

as above start with the easy stuff and work you way up. start out with some plating montipora, montipora digitata, purple stylophora, calliendrium, guttatus, hystrix (birds nest), to name a few. there usually pretty bullet proof and if so.ething goes wrong they normal just turn brown rather then die.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

6. Vix

Vix Registered

Just gave the tank a good clean and did my water change, nothing to report all seems fine. Waiting for my lights to arrive and I'll test the parameters tomorrow. When do most of you usually test, before or after water change. Thanks for the suggestions for beginner sps loads to look at. None of my LFS's sell sps and I don't know anyone else with a tank so I need to find a good on-line store.

7. 372xp

372xp Registered

Not so sure about dosing NoPox daily. Nutrients are necessary for growth. The use of this can often lead to neglecting water conditions. Any deviation after can lead to a crash, personally I would only use something like this to get levels in check. Once this is done you have no need for it.
    It is far more important to have consistent alk temp and lighting schedules. You will also require strong turbulent flow.
    Growing SPS is easy as long as you understand there needs. Tight clusters of acropora and seriatopora need more flow than the more open forms of montipora. These corals will feed more at night when plankton rises up from cooler deeper waters. Photosynthesis is also very important in growth.

8. warby

warby Registered

there's nothing wrong with dosing nopox daily there's hundreds of tank doing fine with it and a variety of other carbon sources like pearls/pellets, vodka, sugar and so on. as long as the dose is maintained it's fine its not a substitute for good husbandry in the tank though.
    as 372xp says stable params are a must with sps mainly alk calc and mag.

9. merser

merser Registered

I have stacks of caliendrum and hystrix you can have a couple of pieces if you want some mate.

10. Vix

Vix Registered

So the new lights are on and overall I'm happy with the coverage it has given the tank, I've added a pic to the first post. Sorry my iPad doesn't take great photos and I get some glare from the windows. The supports aren't as nice as the razor, I don't like them hanging down the sides and it is about 2 cm to big for the length of the tank but I can work with that, there is minimal light spill into the room too. I've set the custom settings on a regime I found and will adjust as needed.

The nopox dosing I am happy with as nutrient control, I like the idea of it being an exact science eliminating the variables of other carbon dosing.

Merser thanks for the offer of the frags I'll definitely take you up on that once the tank has settled with the new lights.

I tested the water today using salifert kits :

Ammonia and nitrite 0
    Nitrite 10. I'm happy around this number as I'm not wanting to add to many extra nutrients for corals.
    Phosphate 0-0.03 somewhere between
    Calcium 470
    Alk 9.3
    Mag 1410 slightly high because I overdosed a few weeks back when I was playing with the doser
    PH 8.2 always sits around here this is measured on a meter
    Salinity 1.027 which surprised me will slowly add RO to bring this down over this week

I have just changed to Red Sea coral pro salt in the last two weeks, parameters sit within the expected values on the tub except alkalinity which is lower but still stable for my tank.

So now to sit back and watch, hoping not to get an algae bloom and that my fish settle down, not sure they're liking the changes.

11. warby

warby Registered

pictures arnt showing up for me. shows a broken image icon.
    you might want to drop nitrate down to around 5ppm if your keeping sps they prefer lower no3.

12. Vix

Vix Registered

Ok I'll increase the nopox slightly to get nitrates down to 5. Not sure why the pictures aren't displaying

13. warby

warby Registered

one of the pictures is showing up for me now. looks 100 x better with the new light now you can't go wrong with the evergrows

14. Vix

Vix Registered

New evergrow's have been on for five days now, the fish have settled down and seem happy. I've just cleaned the tank and done the water change as I'm working the next couple of days. It didn't seem anymore dirtier than usual so that's good news. I think I have a small amount of green growing on the rocks or it could be that it was there before but I couldn't see it with the old lights. The skimmer is producing loads with the increase in nopox dose. I'll check the parameters when I'm off next.

So now I need to start thinking about the flow and tweaking that ready for corals. At the moment I have the gyre flowing from right to left across the top with lots of surface agitation. It runs at 60% on continuous flow. Whenever I try to pulse it, the gyre makes a high pitch noise. I've added a koralia to the back left side to add turbulence. It seems the high flow areas go across the top of the rocks right to left and low flow across the bottom from left to right. Do you think this is right/enough flow, there is room to increase the gyres output.

15. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Yes The gyre can make a small noise on pulse mode But imo its better than continuous flow
    I Get a more Natural flow :)

16. warby

warby Registered

mine made a noise but only for about a week then it went quiet. mines set on LTC mode which pulses randomly from 0% up to 60%.

17. Vix

Vix Registered

So I have managed to get the gyre to pulse without making a noise which is great. I still have good surface agitation but it won't be continually blasting the coral.

I have done a water test today and could use some advice on the results.

No3- 1, this has dropped by 9 since increasing the nopox I plan to decrease it now to increase No3 to 3-5
    PO4 - 0.1 I plan to change the rowaphos for fresh next water change
    Ca- 470 happy
    Alk- 7.3, this has dropped by 2, worrying as this has always been really stable, I think this is because of the increase in nopox, should I begin correcting now or wait and see following water change and decreased dosing?
    Mag- 1470 still high following the dosing mistake
    Ph- 8.1

Temperature touched on 79f last night but is back down to 78.5 today

Plan a water change on Thursday and normal maintainence.

18. Vix

Vix Registered

The algae on the rocks which started when I changed over the lights is beginning to bug me, it's not out of hand but there Had loads of it before which took ages to get on top of, so I've dropped the lights back 10% to see if it goes. It's so easy with these evergrows. Going to review in a weeks time.

19. Vix

Vix Registered

Gave the tank a clean and water change on Thursday also plucked up the courage to strip the skimmer down for a deep clean, it was really grungy. Always worry that it's not going to go back together and run efficiently. But seem to have found the sweet spot again.
    One of my chromis is looking beaten up. He is the smallest and looks like he has a big bite out the top of his head. Just sitting in the corner of the tank and not swimming around. Don't know who the culprit is. He is still coming out and feeding though.
    Will do a water test later to check on the alkalinity.

20. merser

merser Registered

Chromis are murder! I have three now. Started years ago with 5. Only two of mine come out now. One just hides in the rock full time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice