1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Something is killing my fish!

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by Yerfdog, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Yerfdog

Yerfdog Registered

Hi all,

Just about come to the end of my tether.

Had my tank set up for other a year, 6 months ago I had a total wipe of of fish. Coral and shrimp was OK. I put this down to an nem getting sucked into a power head.

After a couple of months after I started to stock again. All was going well unit 2 months ago my fish just started to suddenly die. Great health one day dead the next. No body found or anything.

I have 5 fish that is not getting effected and corals are doing great.

I am starting to think it is something in my rocks or even my new.

Tank is looking great but what good is a tank that has no fish?

I am thinking stripping my live rock out and freshwater dip it to flush anything out. Problem is most of it has coral growth on it. How can I flush without killing the coral.

Really need some help here.

Thanks

Mike

2. powderbluetang

powderbluetang Registered

What fish have died, how many have you lost?

3. Yerfdog

Yerfdog Registered

Hi, I have had the following,

2 x common clowns
    Fox face
    Lipstick tang
    Royal gamma
    Anithaus
    Sailfin tang

Also found most of my turbos dead. Sure there is more just can't remember.

Thanks

Mike

4. heller792

heller792 Registered

if it had been just the anthias then i would think something living in the rocks was a possibility but with tangs and clowns going im not thinking its a predator. Do they just dissapear or is it a slow death then floating bodies?

5. powderbluetang

Are your water parameters OK, no ammonia, nitrite? Might be daft questions but just trying to get an idea of what you have in the tank, what your system is doing etc. if you aren't seeing dead fish, to me it doesn't seem like a parameter spike but could be a big fire worm, Eunice or rogue crab.

6. Yerfdog

Yerfdog Registered

It really is a case of there at night gone in the morning.
    None of them showed any signs of problems.

I got 2 blood shrimp that have been in there no problems.

My foxface was not small so would have found something.

Thinking about ripping all apart and starting again but 750L is a lot to start again.

7. nigelk

nigelk Registered

take a sample to a couple of LFS and get a test done I did it in my HT when my chromes died after 2 days both LFS said there wasn't anything in the water that would kill the fish that they could test for ended up i have over used a buffer and the white power residue was actually greasy to the touch and I assumed that the fish suffocated after a couple of days

8. powderbluetang

Her frog, it's a tricky one, could loads of reasons, but I still reckon if the fish were swimming around healthy before bed and gone without a trace come breakfast, then something is taking them. If there was a contaminate in the water or lack of oxygen, a peram spike, anything to do with the water, you would defo find the body the next day or at least some remains.
    I'm blaming a big ass worm of some kind. Might be worth looking with a torch after lights out, try a red bike light, they work well to see what's going on in your tank in total darkness.

9. heller792

heller792 Registered

Agree, if you can suspend a red light above the tank bright enough for you to see everything. Anything in the tank will think its lights out and all the night time critters will come out and feast. Could be a eunice worm or a crab

10. Yerfdog

Yerfdog Registered

That's the thing, I don't currently add anything to the tank.

My tank is 750l summped, Nac7 skimmer, UV, Reactors.

I just got a new set of test kits as I was getting 0 readings throughout. Just to be safe I got new kits.

Lost my lipstick last night. Had it about 3 weeks.

Ammonia was up a little tonight, must be the lipstick.

Why would some of my old livestock b OK and anything new does not last.

11. powderbluetang

Also agree, Eunice or crab. Let us know how it goes, but don't loose hope and give up, bit of detective work is all that's needed.

12. powderbluetang

So, anything new going in the tank is dying, but old stock survives, then maybe a baddy in the rocks isn't the answer. Are you buying new stuff from the same place? Not suggesting a LFS is selling dodgy quality stock, but there might be a problem there somewhere.

13. Yerfdog

Yerfdog Registered

Hi,

Different LFS

If it was prams surely old and new would be effected.

14. JayTee

JayTee Registered

Try posting what your perams actually are. There may be some imbalance that the old stock has got used to and anything new cannot cope. Just a thought.

15. powderbluetang

Not necessarily. If say over time your nitrate has been rising, then old fish swimming around in it would acclimatize over time but a new fish just added, who's come from zero nitrate water, might well struggle to get used to high levels of nitrate. I'm just using nitrate as an example, it might another peram which is causing the problem. Then there's other possibilities, stray voltage might be causing it. There's loads of possibilities.

16. Yerfdog

Yerfdog Registered

Just run some more tests.

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Salt - 1.026
    Phos - 0.1

Would voltage kill over time?
    I do have some, but don't we all. How much is to much?

17. powderbluetang

No idea how much is too much. Think voltage messes with the lateral line so induces stress. Sure someone else on here can tell you more. Your perams look fine.

18. sevenfooter

sevenfooter Registered

if the fish are there at night and gone in the morning then it has nothing to do with water para levels at all
    something is eating them or some one is taking them out simple
    you could put a fish in a bucket of tap water from India or out of the local canal and it would just die not vanish ??

19. powderbluetang

That's what I thought sever footer but why are the original fish surviving? Maybe the new ones can't hack it and there is a bad crab who just banquets every nite on weak and struggling fish.

20. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

or may be the old fish know what it is and were it is and stay away of a night but the new fish get caught by what ever it is

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice