1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

smell

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Desertgoast, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Desertgoast

Desertgoast Registered

I am currently maturing/cycling my tank but I noticed it smells a bit eggy. Is this usual? It's my first open top tank. Is this why I noticed it, or is this not normal? (ammonia/nitrite/nitrates are all high as expected)

2. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

It can smell if it's going off big time, like everything is dying off.
    Was the rock Live beforehand?
    Any shocks from the tank at all? Only reason I ask is that I had a problem cycling once and found the tank wasn't earthed and I had some voltage leakage which in turn led to die off big time and a smell.

3. Desertgoast

Desertgoast Registered

I had some rock(dead) from previous tank and some live which I took from a break down...(which I dipped for 24 hours)

(also my powerhead/wavemaker has give up so am only using pump and return flow)

4. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Hmm, wouldn't expect that then. When I cycled this tank, not a single smell and some rock was dry for months and the seeded piece was only out of water for a short time.

5. Desertgoast

Desertgoast Registered

James My tank is 40"x18"x12" deep. Do you think a 6000 l/h wavemaker is too powerful my tank....am in the lookout for a new one mines just give up....

6. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

So, 137 litres.
    I never suggest a single powerhead, but if you need something to get you by then so be it.

Typical guidelines are:
    Soft Corals - 20x turnover - 2740lph
    LPS - 30x turnover - 4110lph
    SPS - 40x turnover - 5480lph

I personally think the 6000lph might be too powerful, and if you have sand you'll find it all at the other end of the tank the next morning. You may also find that it pushes water over the sides with your 12" depth.

7. Desertgoast

Desertgoast Registered

So 2x 2000 l/h would be better...my return pump gives 3000 l/h up from.sump,

8. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

You normally discount the return pump because the flow will reduce (usually by half).
    Given the length, I think it might be best to go for somethign like 3 x 1500 kph, maybe even one of those being a 2000lph or so.
    You don't really want to find it's not getting flow near the middle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice