1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Skimmer Issues

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Aug 15, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

For some time now I've had an erratic skimmer function that I've tried to figure out but to no avail. TMC reef skim 300. So, as a quick overview I have a sump with a level marker in the final chamber housing my skimmer, return pump and auto top up. All TMC, the auto top up does it's job well and is very sensitive so the level stays constant. The problem is that after a water change I have to dial the skimmer right down to get a dry skim and then over the week adjust it up gradually. It's very hit and miss, it can be skimming fine, slowly when I go out to work, then overflowing 10hrs later for no obvious reason. I've thought about varying O2 levels but considering some weeks it can go 5 days before playing up I'm not sure. I'm working on a new setup which will have a new 1000ltr DC skimmer and would like to get it right before the changeover Thanks.

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

The only thing I can think is perhaps your setting it too dry and it’s not skimming out all the organics and letting them build up in the water until they build up enough and the skimmer goes mad.
    I’ve heard of this being a problem with people having skimmers that are way oversized for their system.

3. damo666

damo666 Registered

OK. I'll try a wetter skim. It's only rated at 300ltrs on a 350 or so system. I'm looking forward to the upgrade, just don't know whether to use the large amount of Seachem Denitrate I'm using now, also can't decide on Nopox either, really undecided about that as I've lost so many softies since introducing it, but seen big improvement in water quality. Have invested in dosers as well, especially for Kh which fluctuates a lot at the moment. Haha.... .....still a novice ey. At least my new V2 ilumenair should help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice