1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Simple things we over look.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Bluez_01, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

So long story short, corals started to look a bit worse for wear, some stripping and others closing up, while others looked fine...
    Checking the params all is ok, calc/alk/mag, slightly high nitrates around 15, but in general everything looks to be on par, thinking that may be I have mixed up or got a dodgy batch of dosing, I switched off the doser for a while and did a couple of large water changes over the next couple of weeks, still no change.

Changed out 2 T5 tubes, thinking that perhaps one of these had gone south, and 10 days later still no change. confused about why this was happening, I decided to do another large water change, when it suddenly dawned on me that maybe TDS could be out, Testing it with a tds pen it revealed that it was running around 3, but not overly convinced that this was accurate, I purchased an inline tds meter, to discover that the inlet was running at 35/36 and the outlet was hover around 16/19!

So a quick change of DI resin, and a new prefilter fitted, I am now back to 0 on the outlet, but this is just a typical example how some of us over look the basics and go chasing rainbows, when really it is down to basic maintenance, a change of di resin is now on the calendar every 8 weeks to remind me that it has to be done, a long with the inline tds meter for quick visual checks.

Total cost of this over look is probably around £100 in loss of corals, stupid rookie mistake that really I should of known better, so remember to check them basic things regular!

Pump cleaning.
    Filter cleaning.
    Skimmer clean. (not just the top!)
    Change the carbon/phos remover, when scheduled (not the well it will be alright until next week thing we all do from time to time!)
    Clean the crud off the heater element, dont let it build up and cause the heater to stop working, very expensive!
    Dont put off what can be done today until tomorrow, it can work out very expensive.

Laziness is a killer.

2. nodster

nodster Registered

Sometimes its the things that we think we check regular and in reality months fly by without realizing till something goes wrong , count me in along those lines mate as I must be the laziest reefer on here .

Well pointed out [MENTION=16451]Bluez_01[/MENTION] Big Thumbs Up

3. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

I Had a similar problem, now I change my filters every 500 gallon. even membrane. some people say they last for a couple of years.
    the 3 I change cost 24.99 plus the di resin cost.
    But imo its worth it. so looking at your advice [MENTION=16451]Bluez_01[/MENTION] maybe its time for me to look at my skimmer. Never cleaned the inside before.
    Now in its 3rd year! I stopped all reactors 6 months ago with no changes to phos/nitrate readings. just cheato for me
    Good advice tho :clap:

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

dates on test kits
    alk off the scale
    taken a couple of months to get down to 12.5 dkh

5. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

I read a great piece recently by someone called Randy Holmes Farley, or at least I think it was him if memory serves me well, he was talking about the basic mistakes that reef keepers make and how we all get caught up with chasing numbers and fancy equipment but forget about the basics...which ironically the basics is the thing that we all probably excel at when we first start in the hobby. He called it LARS which is a mnemonic for "Lazy Arse Reefer Syndrome"

I plead guilty.

6. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Randy is great to follow for reef chemistry

7. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Classic Jim HystericalHysterical

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice