1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured shoaling fish

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Mar 19, 2017.

1. warby

warby Registered

after some ideas for fish that shoal was thinking anthias to start with but what else is there? looking for around 3-5fish maybe.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

2. WardyC

WardyC Registered

Blue reef Chromus are a nice shoaling fish

3. penzo

penzo Registered

I don't think you can beat a shoal of anthias,so many to choose from,I had a shoal of scribbled anthias,but I think the ventralis are stunning,I would go for those.they are a little pricey though.

4. warby

warby Registered

Cheers guys. saw some randalls anthias which looked stunning bright pink and yellow.

5. McPikie

McPikie Registered

These ones

[​IMG]

6. penzo

penzo Registered

[MENTION=20055]McPikie[/MENTION] yes Phil ventrelis about £200 a pair.

7. city1111

city1111 Registered

Whatttt ,lol wow be an expensive shoal ...gorgeous tho ,I'm thinking anthias too warby for mine but not seen any nice ones as yet

8. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Dam thats an expensive shoal but definatelty stunning. I would have said blue reef chromis for a cheaper option but anthias are stunning.The Bartlett's Anthias are also a very beautiful looking fish i have seen them before in my local LFS.

9. maxwell

maxwell Registered

Hi
    Ventralis anthias don't shoal they are deep water species and finicky feeders as are all anthias , you can buy 5 then lose 1 or 2 and others drop off over time.They need feeding often like tamarins and fems .

Bill

10. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

+1 Blue/Green Reef Chromis. Cheap and cheerful, but great active swimmers. Mine have adopted the clowns as fellow shoal/gang members, as they all swim around and feed together :dance:

I've read that some anthias can be problematic (aggressive) when feeling frisky :friends:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. warby

warby Registered

when you pull apart a 5ft tank to remove 2 chromis you never want to see them on your life again! haha.

12. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

:lol: Yep, they are lightning quick. Took me ages to net them in my tiny tank on transfer day, that was with all the rock out as well Hystericalsmiley-sex020

13. meejo

meejo Registered

I've never really found any marine fish that shoal tightly in my tank, freshwater choice was vast, never been able to replicate it in marine even with Chromis :(

14. Wasp

Wasp Registered

Been tempted with some Lori anthias all weekend but they don't seem to be feeding in the shop and very timid as well though. Yet they look really good on YouTube and stunners for not stupid money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

chromis will eventually kill them selves, stupid fish,

anthias require good feeding.

hard to say, really massive tanks are needed to get good shoaling

16. LewisReef

LewisReef Registered

Lyretail anthias for me. Not shoaling but after establishing pecking order live together relatively peacefully and an amazing fish. As cuprajake said chromis are stupid. ive lost loads of blue/greens before giving up, now have two blue reef chromis and slowly but surely one is becoming more agressive than the other. get the feeling its just a matter of time before ones dead.
    in short, anthias.

17. brisinger

brisinger Registered

I'd hesitate with Anthias they are not the hardiest of fish and tend to need numerous feeding times. Make sure you do your research thoroughly first. It's a costly error if they won't adapt to your feeding regimes. It's one of those when I've had them that either do really well or just wither and die. No half measures. As for damsels lets just say that me and them have a history. They are like the school bully who seems to take pride in being put in the detention tank... :lol:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  18. brisinger

brisinger Registered

I've set up another tank with longspine cardinalfish from a lfs in oldham. They are schooling at the mo' and are like pirhana's at feeding time. They are prompt at reminding me when it's meal time. In my opinion they are quite quite cool especially when their eyes go really blue although they are not especially colourful.
    [video=youtube_share;5Wb1g_5PJec]https://youtu.be/5Wb1g_5PJec[/video]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  19. warby

warby Registered

I saw them in that shop a while back (it's my lfs) didn't really do much for me. still got no idea what to add there's 15 fish and the tank looks empty haha

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

20. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Some of these perhaps.......

Family-Fish-Fish.jpg

Or perhaps a shoal of yellow tangs....they'd soon fill up your tank when they grow :w00t:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice