1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Setting Up New Tank .thoughts Plz

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Crossy, Nov 25, 2018.

?
  1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crossy

Crossy Registered

New tank marine .6ft by 3ft by 2ft wide custom built on steel frame .80ltrs of sand .deep sand bed .200kg of live rock my plan is to let tank cycle for 2 months and also add ATM bacteria and 2 small fish probably chromis then plenty of clean up crew and let bio load do its thing also while cheato algea in the sump lock in under a UFO led light .equipment 2 max gyre fX 250s pumps .UV steriliser red star skimmer for 1000ltr tank .Clarissa filter. vortec return pump .and 3 gen 4 Radeon LED lights .all to be ran on the pro Neptune computer with pH salinity and ORP probe and filter floss and bag of carbon and miracle mud under the cheato algea also a tunze ATO . I have a FOWLER tank and this tank is going to be for corrals and 2 rare fish .if any body has any positive advice on my method that would be great ie on dosing or if you think I'd need reactors calcium ect or if you think my once a week 10% water changes would work just fine I plan on putting show corrals in this tank and I'm in no rush untill parimitors are perfect also do I need a UV steriliser and I plan on soft corrals for first year untill i know what im doing kind regards Crossy

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

All sounds good, (pictures please) not sure about the Clarissa filter and filter floss, if your running miracle mud and cheato you will soon find your sump teaming with Copepods and little shrimp, which can only be a good thing.
    You may find that filtering too heavy and removing too many particles from the water before getting to the sump could cause them to starve.
    Your going to need a big uv light to have any effect if any. Personal opinion I think they are not worth having so wouldn’t bother.
    Doug

3. Crossy

Crossy Registered

4. Crossy

Crossy Registered

Here is the 80ltr of sand and 200kg of rock tank arrives in 3 weeks .regards

5. Crossy

Crossy Registered

I will post pictures as it gets set up .and your right about the floss and Clarissa filter the pods will starve and you also need good bacteria for them to thrive and I fear this will take it away .which is why I posted for advice there will be no expence spared on this project and I will post accordingly kind regards crossy

6. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

if you add bacteria via live rock and a bottle you need something for it to feed on
    if you only have 2 small fish the bacteria will die off to a level that your tank needs
    and has to grow as you add stock
    if that is your chosen route (and its not wrong) i doubt i would add the ATM bacteria
    but keep testing to ensure your tank has cycled and levels are acceptable to your livestock

regarding your choice of corals if you intend to move on to hard corals be careful of your choice of soft corals as lots can encrust and become difficult to get rid of

good luck and keep the pics coming please

7. Crossy

Crossy Registered

Yes I will use ATM and add enough fish to do the job but I will still let it build up bio load before anything major goes in also I will research what soft corrals are ok with other corrals so that I make sure the live stock will be compatible with what ever else I put in my main objective will be paitence and a lot of it until things are ready then add live stock in stages .how many fish would you recommend to go in after ATM added and what ones as I'm a bit weary on adding anything until tank natraully cycled but I hear ATM is good and I don't think it will harm it with bacteria going in while the tank matures .then I think I will be going with cheato filter floss and after much research the Triton method as a lot of major reefers seem to be having good results as long as rock and cheato doing there job .thanks for your comments kind regards Colin

8. Crossy

Crossy Registered

I will dose for 1 month then send sample off to Triton and see what is lacking and water change or add elements according to test results if cheato and rock does its job I should only have to add elements and the odd water change for cleaning purposes only providing bio load ie fish is not too much but I only plan on a gem tang and small reef fish and the rest Australian corrals after much testing maintenance and confidence building 8 months to a year down the line

9. shazants

shazants Registered

For me water changes are a thing of the past.... I haven't performed any water changes in 2 years since moving to the "Triton" method ( well actually i use AquaForest 123+ but everyone seems to know Triton method better! ) ..... and have had great coral growth and no loss of fish.

For the initial cycle you might want to check out BRSTV's methods (YouTube) they have been running a few experiments recently on the best cycle method and i believe that tonight they will be airing the results.

10. shazants

shazants Registered

Also when initially i was cycling the new tank and i have a Clarisea installed ..... I added the Copepods but ensured that the Clarisea / Reactors / Skimmer were all turned off for at least 3 days (think i left them for a week to be honest) to ensure that the little creatures could get established in the Rock/Sand/Sump etc.

11. Crossy

Crossy Registered

Can you give me some more information on your aqua forest method and once tank is cycled when do I initiated that method and is the aqua forest method the Triton method ? And do you send a test off strait away once cycled then they tell you what to dose or do you just start dosing shazants ? I have 200kg of live rock I plan to let it cycle mean while establish a cheato algea in refugium so I have good bio filtrations and Clarissa filter and yes skimmer off for a week or so and Clarissa to let bacteria build up then what would be the next step in aqua forest / Triton I have researched but I don't no if to send water sample off first then dose accordingly or just dose so many ml then a month in send water of .? Kind regards

12. shazants

shazants Registered

Ok i'll give this a go.... please note that this is my take on the AF / Triton method and is likely not exactly what you are supposed to do!

Firstly I have the drain from the tank going into the sump (prior to having the Clarisea it just went straight into a compartment before going to the fuge via baffles), then into the Fuge (with added cheato and a small clean up crew)....after that the flow passes a section with a reactor (mainly phosguard + carbon) then into the return pump section - this section has the dosing pipe into it. Aquaforest 123+ has 3 containers that you dose equal amounts of depending on your ALK consumption ( I didn't start dosing until I noticed a drop in ALK ie the corals had started to use it all up ) ..... Initially I started the dosing off at 5ml per day which is less than the recommended amount for the amount of water in my tank... but I wanted the changes to be slow.

At this point I just monitored the ALK level in the Tank and over a period of time raised the dosing amount to 20ml per day - by this point after daily testing I noticed no further drop in ALK and left it at that.

With regards to the ICP tests, I have only ever sent one in... that was just to check everything was ok ..... which it was (ill see if i can locate the report and post it) ...... I certainly don't believe that it is necessary to send tests in monthly/quarterly/biannually etc unless you are chasing figures...... which I am not..... so long as the corals are growing and looking good I see no point to send further tests in if the ALK / PH / Salinity etc are stable .... unless i notice some issue .... I will likely send in one test a year just to get a reading ...... but as many experts are stating ----- "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

After reading lots of successful coral growers tank builds and maintenance methods .... the thing I noticed was that everyone does things slightly different or sometimes very different BUT even though they sometimes have different equipment or dosing additives... they all ended up with STABLE parameters.....so that's all I am aiming for.....once I see coral growth.... keep the parameters the same after that and see what happens.... only change it if something starts going wrong.

hope that helps :)

13. Crossy

Crossy Registered

Thank you very much that has been most helpful and my refuge is more or less the same tank will be 1000ltr and I shall crack on.and test alk accordingly and start with the 5ml if I need to and adjust after that and see if things are going well the test info was most helpful and keep on top of salinity and pH and look at growth .thank you kindly regards Colin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice