1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured SB on the slide?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Suggestions' started by reefloat, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

I am sorry Realist, but your not living up to your screen name.

Yes facebook is a convenience, but forums are a community that stick together if that was the case TSB would be as popular as it was 2 or 3 years ago.

Advertisers are setting up there own pages and showing stock within facebook groups. Its costs them very little. They are not paying facebook for advertising as far as i am aware. So yes they are advertising to the converted but really is no different to advertising here with the exception of number of people seeing the posts.

I am one of those people who have drifted away from forums to facebook. How do you get me back?

I have said in this post forums will always hold thing thing over facebook the storage of information but even with this the saltybox does not often pop up with google hits anymore when i am doing research.

So how do new members find the forum?

I dont mean to be pessimistic but more of a realist. I would love salty box to become more popular but people need a reason to use it over facebook groups.

Integration in someway with facebook rather than ignoring it will go a long way to helping the forum.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Realist

Realist Registered

SB yes has declined in users but other well known forums are thriving with activity so why is that?

Facebook yes advertisers are post posting their goods up on their pages free advertising I'm aware of that duh but you will not replace a dedicated forum.

3. maxwell

maxwell Registered

Realist
    I think you need to analyse the subject and content of the last 3/6 months posts also the number of members that's posted . How many reviews on new equipment and sponsors new stock listed , UR are are having the same issues and there is a thread in general reefing going on now . The forum used to be interesting with people like Nev, starfish ,killi and Nav telling it like it is warts an all and coming up with solutions or help.

Bill

4. Realist

Realist Registered

True not saying anything different but if everyone sat back and let it go we'll have nowhere to go and Facebook has won.

5. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

To me it a HMV / Woolworths moment was seen 18 months ago with forums. Forums are HMV and facebook Itunes. HMV failed to move with the trends and are suffered as a result.

But like the, i suppose arrogance of HMV people will still need stores, echo of your statement people need forums.

It head in the sand.

What people need is quick and easy access to information to problems and queries. At the moment facebook is providing that and thus advertisers are tuning into that rather than forums. They will follow where the people are.

So how can the group bring people back and bring new members? What can a forum offer that facebook can not? You say community but without people you can not have a community.

If i can get something from a forum that facebook can not offer, then naturally i will spend more time here.

To me forums should be complementing facebook and vice versa, and forum owners should be using both platforms for it users.

6. Realist

Realist Registered

We do use both platforms but I'm pushing this forum for now.

7. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

The saltybox group was run as separate entity pretty much originally with old style forum rules as was quickly surpassed by other groups.

So yes pushing the forum is a great idea, but guess what i am asking:

what the forum can do for me as a general user?

How is the forum attracting new reefers?

Why should i stop using facebook groups and use saltybox again?

8. Realist

Realist Registered

No one is stopping anyone from using FB its another means to information and both can run side by side but SB forum has a vast knowledge base, a massive member base and its a friendly bunch of people to boot.

Plus you can pull a pint at the bar (If we had one that is).

9. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Yes i mentioned this before SB has a vast amount of retrievable information something thats not easily available with facebook.

But how do new users find it?

I typed into google treating white spot marine tank.

Where did saltybox come in the returns?

10. Realist

Realist Registered

That's all being sorted but getting up high on the search lists takes money and time.

11. jordlr

jordlr Registered

One thing forums offer is experience, you can see who the member is and how experienced by their joining date, amount of posts and there is a history of posts and threads by that person. FB does not have this and you could be getting advice from any tom dick or harry, even someone who has never owned a reef tank unless you have previous experience of them.

One thing FB does have over a forum is more or less instant response. Whether that response is any good is another fact.

12. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

My golden rule, the best advice often comes from replies who ask further questions before answering.

13. les

les Registered

I am on a number of forums both UK and US plus quite a few FB groups. Yes, you can often get quick answers from FB groups but the downside is anybody can pretend to be knowledgeable when in fact they are often just nob with little knowledge. They might even Google for the answer and have little experience and often only bad experience. I have found this often and exposed such people bebore. There is a well known UK FB group and the guy who owns it also has a professional (kind of ) looking YouTibe video channel but he's been in the hobby around 18 months and can't for the life of him selfish keep fish or corals. He's been found out often but newbies in the hobby think of him as some sort of guru. Those of us who have been in the hobby sometime know him well. Some people do preferre FB while others forums and IMO both are often chacing the same people. The butter is being spread thinner as they number of FB groups and .com forums are many and expanding by the day esp FB groups.

14. Realist

Realist Registered

As the thread has done its course and positive comments posted I'll now close this one down but start a new thread called "SB on the up?" and hopefully you guys can come up with suggestions and positive comments to help SB grow thrive.

Thanks all for your input its much appreciated.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice