1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Salifert V Colombo Mg Test Kit

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by NoK3, Oct 5, 2017.

1. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I've always used Salifert Test Kit for Mg but today I thought I'd give the Colombo test kit a go. Probably not a good idea as the kits are giving different results. Now I'm unsure sat to which is the most accurate. Any experience of both would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Not used the Colombo test but I know salifert and D-D mg tests agree with each other, it's nitrate I struggle with, I always get a lower reading with Nyos than salifert So obviously I believe the Nyos one lol

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Galvinized likes this.
  3. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I have been using Colombo for a long while and found no difference between them and Salifert.

4. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I get very different results between the two test kits and those results are enough to make a difference. On Salifert it's 1275 and on Colombo it's 1380. Very wide swing. If Colombo is correct then too high, if Salifert is correct then I need to increase. Does any one have experiences with Colombo or any recommendations on the best kit for magnesium.

5. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I'm getting increasingly frustrated and concerned. I've just checked my own water in the tank with the Colombo kit giving a reading of 1350. Just picked up some salt water from my LFS (D&D H2O) for a water change and thought I'd check that one and got a result of 1200. This is really doing my head in and no longer confident in the Colombo Test kit.

6. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

What is the salinity of the water you bought? Just thinking if it's a little low,
    that might explain the low reading

7. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

SG is 1024. My tank is 1026.

8. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

That's why the test will ready slightly low.

Mg tests are generally not most accurate from what i have read.

1275pm is not to low, unless your calcium is very high
    1380pm is not to high

Keeping things level and stable is much better than chasing the prefect number. Generally you want Mg to 3 times that of Calcium. Magnesium IMO is probably the least important of Mg, Ca and Alk

9. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

Providing you Alk & Ca are stable then I wouldn't worry too much about the ppm of the Mg results, I'd focus more on the stability of the readings taken over a period of time.

Personally, I've found Salifert's Mg test kit to be about +/- 60ppm when testing against referencing solution. I'm not too sure if it's been changed or updated since the last time I've used it as I've not bought it for a good while, I switched to Nyos as I found the Mg test kit to have closer results to referencing solution and was also backed up by other tests carried out by independent third parties.

Provided you're performing the test under the same condition each time then you should be able to notice an increase or decrease in the levels and that is where I would focus any attention before making any changes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice