1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Söchting oxydators

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by Tbert33, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Tbert33

Tbert33 Registered

Ive recently been researching these söchting oxydators and the effect that they have in a marine aquarium and i want to see if any of you guys have any experience of them or your thoughts on these in general.

Basically it allows Hydrogenperoxide to be converted to molecular oxygen. Ordinarily used for freshwater but ive been reading that they are really beneficial for a marine tank.

Heres some more info about them...

Biotechnik GmbH

Let me know what you all think... good or bad.

2. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

you'll regret asking :whistling:
    [MENTION=17165]les[/MENTION]

3. Tbert33

Tbert33 Registered

I think its [MENTION=17165]les[/MENTION] who started something elsewhere and the feedback has been nothing but positive. Havent seen anything about them here so thought id start a thread and see how it goes.

Im going to order one in the coming weeks and ill do a review on my findings. Just think for something so simple it may have been overlooked by many or not known to many.

4. Matt@Epo

IIRC Chris Durkin tried one a while back. I am surprised you cant find any threads on here, IIRC [MENTION=17165]les[/MENTION] started 4 threads per day about them!!

5. Tbert33

Tbert33 Registered

Christ... does sound like its well discussed lol. I use my phone a lot to access the forum and have a few issues searching (crap phone syndrome lol).

6. les

les Registered

Discussed by the believers and the non believers mate. There is loads about them on the net now as some have seen the light and noticing the difference they can bring. :biggrin:

7. les

les Registered

But only because you can't help yourself posting on any Oxydator thread :taunt:

8. Matt@Epo

I loves em Les. Hair bleach, plant pots and tales of old folk writing books, it just doesn't get any better than that for me Worship

9. les

les Registered

Your very welcome Matt and tales of leaking pipes tanks and all that like your parting the Red sea on more than one occasion. Big Thumbs Up

10. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

i work in sewage treatment and we dose peroxide. As it is very volatile, it breaks down into water and spare oxygen atoms. This then wants to attach itself to other molecules. My understanding is that it will attach to free carbon and release as CO2. We do this at the front or back end of the system to keep away from the beneficial bugs. As every single surface in your system will contain said bugs, I would think long and hard about using these on a reef tank

hope that helps

Jim

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  11. les

les Registered

I did more than think long and hard I did research into it and that's one of the reasons I don't advocate adding peroxide to your tank. The Oxydator breaks the peroxide down into O2 and H20. No peroxide enters the tank water at all. Forgive me if I am wrong but I assume you have no experience of Oxydator's in any form and in particular in reef systems given your comments.

12. jim_fitz

hi Les,
    i have no experience in any form and in particular in reef systems. But i work for one of the largest utility companies and recently spoke with our process team, most of whom are doctors. Thats why i posted my comments. I never negated the use of them, just wanted to give a bit of insight into peroxide and its possible side effects

13. les

les Registered

Peroxide is not dangerous its how you use it that CAN make it dangerous. (peroxide is classed a hazardous substance) I think we could agree on that. Guns are not dangerous its only how they are used that makes them so. Having said that there are those who do add it direct to their tanks to kill hair algae but IMO that's a dangerous thing to do like I stated.

14. jim_fitz

i totally agree Les and thats why i said you need to be careful where you use it
    on a slightly different point i would have thought most reef tanks with circa 40 to 50 times per hour turn over would have all the oxygen then ever need ?

15. les

les Registered

Some might indeed but the Oxygen provided is activated oxygen it does more than simply oxygenate the water it raises the redox and helps clean the water removing or should I say neutralizing/oxidizing the yellowing compounds. many have reported cleaner water and having to clean the aquarium glass as much. Of course it also greatly depends on stocking rates and in most reef tanks there is a far higher stocking rate than on the reef. There is so much more to Oxydator's than adding oxygen. My friend Albert Thiel now uses one after I introduced it to him and he wrote a whole section in his new book on the Oxydator. Albert is a convert of course as are many.

16. jim_fitz

so it does a similar job to ozone ?

17. les

les Registered

Yes I have often stated it does but you are not injecting O3 into the aquarium, reactor or skimmer as the Peroxide is broken down within its own reactor so to speak. Also its a damn sight cheaper the buy and maintain than an ozone reactor.

18. jim_fitz

thanks Les food for thought

19. les

les Registered

Worth looking up what Albert Thiel has to say about Oxydators.
    The final part of the Albert Thiel interview | NanoReefBlog

Nano Reef Aquariums by Albert J Thiel: The first review | NanoReefBlog

Just a few but there are a lot more that I can't share the links to as they are on other forums and I don't think posting links to posts on other forums is allowed but let me know if it's OK to do so.

However this may help.
    I have been using Soching Oydators in marine reef aquaria for 25 years or so and found there is very little known about them here in the UK in fact little known about them outside Europe. I happened to mention them on another thread on here and I was asked to start a new thread of my own on the Oxydator and my experiences using them. I thought it would be of benefit to share with you some information from Soching themselves so as to familiarize yourself with the concept before I continue with my experiences using them on various reef aquaria over 25 years and also that of some of my freinds who have also used them. Oxydators I believe were first used in the UK by discus keepers and breeders and it is from them that I along with some freinds started to experiment with them in our reef aquaria. Anyway more of which later.

Here is some brief information from Soching themselves.

From the manufacturer: "Using a patented method, Sochting Oxydators produce normal and activated oxygen in the aquarium by means of Oxydator solution and special ceramic catalysts. The activated oxygen decomposes particularly putrid matters and toxicants and, thus essentially improves the well-being of fish and plants. Pure oxygen created by the Söchting Oxydator is mostly immediately dissolved in the water, so that there are hardly any bubbles produced. The oxygen supply is absolutely noiseless, expelling of CO2 and swirling of ground elements is avoided."

In other words, the Oxydator dispenses pure oxygen into the aquarium water, slowly and continuously over time, giving your inhabitants all the benefits of increased levels of dissolved oxygen. Without an Oxydator, good water circulation and regular partial water changes, the level of dissolved oxygen in your aquarium is falling due to the normal metabolic processes of your aquatic life. The Oxydator is "replacing" the oxygen that's being consumed and, as an additional benefit, it's maximizing the oxygen available for your aerobic bacteria (you must still do regular partial water changes to remove end-stage nitrates and for other purposes, of course).
    [TABLE="class: cms_table"]
    [TR]
    [TD]All aquatic life, be it fish, inverts, coral or plants (and of course, aerobic bacteria) benefits from increased levels of oxygen. The Oxydator is independent of (and co-exists nicely with) media reactors and protein skimmers.
    3 sizes to choose from: A, D and Mini. Spare catalystsare available in case you lose one.
    We invite you to visit our blog and share with like-minded hobbyists your thoughts, comments, questions and suggestions as we strive to enable our "aquapets" to enjoy a higher quality of life in the enhanced environment that an Oxydator provides.

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  20. jim_fitz

will read them links when i get a spare minute

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice