1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured running pearls

Discussion in 'ULNS Systems' started by screwloose, Aug 24, 2010.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

ok

i am going to do a small diary using these pellets, a lot of guys are having great success over the pond with these,
    and a few in the UK too.

not sure if anybody else has tried these yet on TSB, but hopefully they have and can share experiences.

i don't really struggle with nitrates, but phosphates still elude me a little, so hoping they will help somewhat towards that.
    along with a better water quality, which in turn will hopefully lead to better colouration & growth in my corals.
    only time will tell.

for those who haven't heard of these,
    [​IMG]

NP Bio Pellets are a unique carbon based polymer that doubles as a substrate and food source for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Like adding a liquid carbon source such as Vodka or VSV.
    The BioPellets are composed of biologically degradable polymers that can be placed in a fluidized filter or filter canister. The pellets will allow aerobic growth of bacteria which consequently will consume nitrate and phosphate simultaneously. The bacteria will use up the carbon from the BioPellets, whilst nitrogen and phosphorus are taken from the water as nitrate and (ortho)phosphate. This conversion of organic BioPellets (together with inorganic nitrogen and phosphorus) into microbial biomass is called immobilization. In addition, anaerobic layers will develop, resulting in additional denitrification.

I am going to run these in my deltec FR509 fludised reactor.

This is also where i came across my first problem, in they are quite hard to fluidise,even with a very small amount, maybe 200ml they still sat at the base in a clump with the MJ1200, so a bigger pump was needed
    ( many thanks to Lee, who stepped forward with the newjet 3000, and thanks for the other offers too guys [thumbup1.gif] )

after fitting the pump, they still would not fluidise properly, until i changed the pipework to the reactor to a bigger bore tubing, then it came to life [w00t.gif] , and i added more media taking it up to around 700ml.

[​IMG]

This may prove to be a standalone media, with just the addition of bacs a couple of times a week, which would then lead to doing away with the tedious tasks, for intstance, 0.6ml of start2 twice daily, trimming and pruning of cheato, etc etc etc.
    and as they slowly get eaten over time by the bacteria, its simply a matter of topping up.

ok. my test previous to today where

SG. 35ppt
    PH 8.32
    Temp 25.0
    Mag 1260
    Cal 420
    dkh 607

P04 0.08
    N03 4

i slightly upped my calcium reactor, due to wanting to slightly up all 3 of the basics, mag,cal & alk, so i will be able to check the progress of this also in the next week or so until it gets to a level i am happier with.

From what i have read already n03 can drop drastically over a couple of days, so if nitrates are high, to introduce the pellets slowly over a couple of weeks, adding to them every couple of days until the amount you require is required.
    can also turn water slightly cloudy for a few days when the bacteria start to colonise.

hopefully this will both inform people of the product & show if it works not only as an n&p reducer, but also as a ulns option.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Re: NP Biopellets

Will be interesting too see how you get on Nev

I have been reading up on this and the use of Rice as a substitute for the pellets which US reefers are also doing as carbon source

The hobby moves on, the basic principal appears sound good luck please keep us updated

3. screwloose

screwloose Registered

My main aim will be to convert eventually to have my filtration system consisting of a slightly larger NP Pellet reactor & skimmer

4. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

you may even be able to go with out a skimmer if it works as I think it may [001_rolleyes.gif]
    that of course would be a step to far at this stage

5. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

You need a good skimmer to remove the mulm. Thus reducing no3,po4

nev what do you think of them so far?

6. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

that's what is said about Vodka as well [023.gif]

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

lol...wayne.... [005.gif] only 1st day...

found a few nice full blown, zeo coloured sps reef tanks running just the pellets & skimmer,
    mainly saying its like zeo without the grueling schedule [thumbup1.gif]

there are a few different suppliers of the pellets in various guises in the states, which will soon filter over here

8. Ged

Ged Registered

Interesting, yours is an ideal tank to be the guinea pig Nev, if it stays as nice then you have cracked it.

9. screwloose

screwloose Registered

good for a guinea pig,,as its not really nice at the moment. [wink.gif]

still recovering, so any growth, reductions in n&p and colouration improvements will show, and nothing else will be there to influence otherwise [thumbup.gif]

10. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Gonna order ours this week. Will be good to see how they bring our nitrates down ;) they are prob 40+ now :(

11. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Tank looks ok today, no cloudiness as some others have experienced, up to now.

just off to the butchesr for some steak for my tea, and will then take a couple of pictures & do some tests

12. kevwill1234

kevwill1234 Registered

I found that my tank went cloudy after about a week, key thing is to clean your skimmer. When mine went cloudy I found the muck in the neck of my skmimer went brown and the bubbles were bigger than normal.

13. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

NP Biopellets

Is the pic at the start of the thread with the pump I brought you running it nev?

14. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers mate,
    will keep an eye on it, i usually clean skimmer every 2-3 days anyway

yes mate,

i had to upgrade the pipe that feeds it to a larger diameter, then off it went [thumbup.gif]

15. screwloose

screwloose Registered

ok,,todays tests

sg - 35ppt
    temp - 25.7
    ph - 8.2
    Mag - 1290
    Cal - 420
    Dkh - 6.7
    p04 - 0.045
    N03 - 15

as you can see all pretty much same, apart from phos has dropped down, and nitrates are slightly up.
    but could be normal running of the tank throughout the week, so a bit early to tell
    Phos is definately lower as its gone out of the blue and into the green section on the D-D test kit.

tank looks normal, electric blue polyp encrusting looks slightly better than yesterday, which could also be coincidence, as its been getting better gradually anyhow.

photobucket is down at the mo, but nothing major to show as yet.

16. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

NP Biopellets

Kool was gonna say looks like there's alot more media and flow in there now. Also glad to hear the blue monti has perked up abit, hopefully get some good growth soon then I can get a frag from you :)

17. screwloose

screwloose Registered

lol..thats it keep reminding me,,, [thumbup1.gif]
    i will glue summat down next to it next time i mix some milliput,,so it can get a foothold onto it [thumbup.gif]

18. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

NP Biopellets

Ok great cheers nev, your a star :)

19. nallaakk

nallaakk Registered

Watching it with great interest. Got spare reactor in my Aladdin cave which needs digging out and might give it a go.

Does this mean you get rid of Phosphate reactor, if gone with this route Nav?

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i haven't run any phos media since i started on zeo Tahir [thumbup1.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice