1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured RO + water meter

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by alant, Oct 27, 2011.

1. alant

alant Registered

I'm being lazy here,as dont wana have to dig out water bills.
    Anyone with RO units on water meters? If so do you reakon its cheaper to by in pre mixed salt water a approx £7 per 25ltrs or run the unit,buy salt,heat water & mix?i do 100ltr every 2weeks,10%.plus maybe 25 top up.
    Trying to be a bit more thrifty(tight)as clock change at the weekend & i lose 12hrs work over the week, & christmas is coming & pepper poxy pig accessories have to be bought!

2. Mitzevovi

Mitzevovi Registered

Can always double the output from your machine by running 2 membranes, 2nd one recycles the waste your first pumps out... You may need to run a pump if water pressure is low tho

3. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

also petrol cost's to an from lfs, what ive seen in the past is that you would be better setting up an doing your own salt as mitzevovi says double up less waste

do you water the garden, wash the car etc as you could save waste to use for such things

4. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Big Thumbs Up If you're on a water meter definately the way to run a ro unit Big Thumbs Up

sorry can't help with costs of water..

5. alant

alant Registered

Thanks for the reply.
    So waste water goes into another vat,then have to pump back through the unit again?

6. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

Put it another way all commercial/businesses must be on a meter, make your own conclusions. I am on a meter both at home and at our premises. I opted to have one at home and still save money over what our bill would be.
    Just remember that 1unit on the meter is 1000l

i hope that helps

7. alant

alant Registered

Thanks for reply.
    Petrol costs arent an issue as i past one of our lfs at least a few times a week at work.
    As for using old water for garden,im a gardener that works 6days a week,i havent touched my own garden in months let alone watering it!my van gets washed everytime it rains.lol.i live a simple life
    If im saving or losing say £50 a year its not really worth it but if its more then id make the changes.

8. Mitzevovi

Mitzevovi Registered

Nah, take your waste feed from 1st membrane and put it into a second membrane rather than down your drain, the waste from the second goes to the drain but your gettin twice the amount of good water

9. alant

alant Registered

I wish id joined this forum 5yrs ago!thanks so much for that, thats a great tip!

10. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

I sell the upgrade kits which include everything you need to piggy back onto another membrane,

as said before the only sticking point for most is the pressure needs to be a minimum of 60 psi for dual membranes to be efficient, hence most needing a booster pump, but if you happen to have good pressure then no pump needed Big Thumbs Up

11. alant

alant Registered

Oh i get cha.
    Cheers mate
    I think my family will get presents this year & not lose out to the tank (again)lol!

12. alant

alant Registered

Just when we're talkin money saving someone has to bowl in with a sales pitch!haha.you trying to deprive my family?!
    No,definately interested in that.
    Thankyou so much for your help.will have a look at your site when i get home.

13. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

hehe no probs, let me know if you decide to go the way of the RO unit will help you out as much as I can, don't forget 10% discount on the unit for TSB members.. :whistling:

14. Viking

Viking Registered

Discussion here regarding cost of RO with a water meter.

15. alant

alant Registered

Brilliant thanks for that link.that was exactly what I was trying to work out.£2.46 for 200ltrs is an absolute no brainer.
    Thanks for taking the time to post that, I know it can get a bit boring when the same questions keep cropping up, so appreciate that.

16. Dan1

Dan1 Registered

I produce my own ro water and I'm on a meter. I don't think its bad as 1000l is 10. Something p I think! I use a lot of water too as my tank is about 1600 ltrs.

17. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I personally think that even if it was more expensive to produce your own RO (and it isn't) it's worth having you own RO unit.

Just so you can produce your own water when you need it and know the quality is perfect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice