1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured RO Upgrade advice required

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by McPikie, Nov 10, 2014.

1. McPikie

McPikie Registered

So at the moment I have a D-D 50gpd unit. I got it second hand so not sure how old it actually is.

I've changed the filters around 6m ago and refreshed the DI resin around 2 months ago.

It's a little on the slow side, so was going to go to RO Man and get a 100gpd membrane and correct restictor for it, as well as new filters and freshen it up. However, if I do that, then use my original membrane to go after the 100gpd to lower waste, will this work? If so, will I then need a 150gpd restrictor, or stick with the 100?

Or do I need two 50gpd membranes??

Help

2. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

talk to Toby at little ocean,he will tell you what you need and supply them.it's not that straight forward to plumb in a second membrane but it will reduce waste

3. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

As above, Toby is your man, he's helped people to do this beforehand. To be able to use your waste, you need good pressure to make it effective.
    You may be able to plumb the two into a single DI Pod if you use DI.

4. NeilBPrater

NeilBPrater Registered

First off, to run 2 membranes you need water pressure of at least 60psi, and both must be the same rating as they share a restrictor. As always Toby [MENTION=11655]LittleOcean[/MENTION] is the man with the knowledge when it comes to RO questions, I'd contact him for advice.

5. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

As Above mate, you always need to use two of the same rating membrane as they both share the same restrictor, and it is recommended to have around 60 psi or more pressure to get the best out of both of the membranes... you can get away with less but this also depends on the TDS of the water I've found. If you have really good water (<150) and 45 psi ish you could get away with it..

I do membrane upgrade kits as add ons that come with all you need., LittleOcean Aquatic products - Twin Membrane Upgrade Kit

or if you have some spare parts lying around just get the bits you need ;-)

6. McPikie

McPikie Registered

I've tested the water straight from the tap and it's 48TDS. Couldnt tell you what the pressure is though.

So your upgrade kit comes with the new membrane AND housing, basically everything I need? Pretty sure it already has a 50gpd restrictor on it.

7. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

wow 48 is really low! you should be ok but would be better knowing you've got a bit of pressure behind it, yes the kit comes with everything you need just make sure you choose the 50gpd as it will use your existing restrictor.

8. McPikie

McPikie Registered

I know, might as well just chuck tap water in, LOL.

Might take an upgrade kit, a pressure gauge, and a new 50GPD membrane to replace mine, so I know it's all brand new. Xmas pressie to myself ha ha.

Do we get any TSB discount Toby?

9. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Good plan, tell you what, order the 50 kit and 50 membrane and I will upgrade you foc to twin 75's and include a 75 restrictor for you Big Thumbs Up

10. McPikie

McPikie Registered

Now that's the kind of service I can get down with :clap:

Placing my order as we speak

11. Bodge

Bodge Registered

Jumping on the bandwagon here now Toby [MENTION=11655]LittleOcean[/MENTION] ...

I have the TMC V2 50gpd unit but need to upgrade as poor waste and poor pressure. My TDS in averages 100, it's a 3 stage unit with added DI pod. Pressure is pretty pathetic at an average of 35psi, takes roughly 7 hours for 25l.

I'm thinking of doing the same as Phil, adding a second membrane but also a booster pump. Would the 50gpd kit you list above be suitable to add to mine and include all I would need?

Cheers,
    Matt

12. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

HI Matt, yes it'll come with everything you need, as long as on you're unit you have a separate restrictor and flush valve, and not a combined one, otherwise you'll need a flush kit too..

13. Bodge

Bodge Registered

14. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Ah, yes mate that's right, the problem with the combined unit is you can't just replace one thing.. bit of a pain imo, it's only a fiver tho the flush kit and if you remind me in the customer comment box I will throw in the restrictor for free ;-)

15. Bodge

Bodge Registered

Apologies in advance if this is a really stupid question, just seem to be getting myself confused (doesn't take much) :whistling:

In order to use the double membrane upgrade, I will need to ditch the combined flush / restrictor currently fitted. This is replaced with your flush valve kit and the restrictor you mention above?

Do I need a restrictor per membrane?

16. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

yes mate that's right, but you have just one restrictor for both membranes, as the waste of the first membrane is fed into the input on the second.. so only the last membrane has the restrictor..

17. Bodge

Bodge Registered

Makes sense, and sounds good, to me now. So in theory, when running the two membranes, I should see waste ratio drop from 4:1 to 2:1? I believe that pressure (35psi) is quite low, would a booster pump
    be recommended and is the increase in production time the main benefit?

18. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

almost, it's just under half as you are saving 1/4 of your first membranes waste.. so you double your output by extracting 1/4 of the 3/4 waste..

yes the main benefit is increased production but you also save waste water, 35 is quite low, but so is your tds, you could try it and if it's not great add a booster pump, personally I'd add a booster from the off, it'll be much quicker and more efficient.

19. Bodge

Bodge Registered

Will drop you a quick PM re the booster. Massive thanks for your help though!

20. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

no probs Big Thumbs Up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice