1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Returning After A While Out - Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by daviesd79, Dec 28, 2019.

1. daviesd79

daviesd79 Registered

Evening all. I have not been on here for a while but am looking for some help and advice to get my tank going properly again.

I have a 4ft closed tank with sump that has run down to a state which currently only has live rock in and 2 clown fish. I do not have any lighting running currently but it is set up for 4 t5 tubes which i used to run 2 blue and 2 white.

Flow wise I had a hydor koralia 4 and a jebao wp40 wavemaker which aren't currently working.

In the sump I had a cheato and deep sand bed chamber and a deltec mce 600 which again no longer works.

I want to get it all looking nice and working again and am wanting opinions on what is best to go with. I don't have an unlimited budget but I would like to know the following if people can offer their experience.

1) which LEDs to be able to grow softies and the more basic corals on the lower budget end?

2) can LEDs be run in a closed lid or does the tank have to be open and if it is open, can I leave the glass on or does that reduce the LED effectiveness?

3) which wavemakers on a similar budget to koralia or jebao wp40?(not sure if you can still get these) I realise the Vortec mp40 are the ones to get but they're too expensive for me currently.

4) skimmer wise should I look to buy a replacement pump for the Deltec mce600 or are there better ones around for the price?

5) what do people use to grow cheato or similar in the sump?

I hope people can help......sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit out of the loop after a couple of years off. I'm on the Wirral if anyone is local and able to offer advice. Thanks all

Colin likes this.
  2. Colin

Colin Registered

Hi, I'm afraid this forum is as good as dead and will soon be taken offline but a new one has been set up to keep the name going. Please sign up at http://saltybox.co.uk/ and you'll get all the help you need

3. daviesd79

daviesd79 Registered

Fab thanks, all signed up and I've posted a similar thread there

doug_amanda, Colin and reefloat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice