1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Filter With A Sump

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by NoK3, Feb 10, 2018.

1. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I have an existing 145 litre tank currently serviced by an external OASE filter. I’ve come to a point that I need to consider a change to a sump arrangement. I’ve no drilled holes or a weir arrangement. I’ve a 25 litre tank that will fit in the cabinet and I would appreciate any guidance on how a sump could be installed eg piping, skimmer etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I think for that scenario you would need an overflow box although I've never used one so can't say which is best.

3. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

x aqua from memory

4. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

An overflow box will be the easiest option (just enter it as a search term in ebay or google) plenty of cheap (ish) and customisable options out there. To run it you will need a submersible return pump with at least a flow rate of 1500 litres per hour for your tank, you will then need pipework to connect the pump to your system with an inline flow control valve fitted (for better water control), this pipe will connect to a suitable outlet in the top of your tank (i.e. a rail with holes drilled in it, or a bent nozzle). Beware that if your power goes off to the return pump the water can back syphon into your sump! To prevent this you need to place your water outlet at a suitable water depth (i.e. near the top of the water) and/or drill a couple of small anti-syphon holes into the supply pipe near the surface of the water (some water will always drain, which is why we always need to leave room for it in the sump when we set everything up).

The overflow box will connect to your sump directly via a pipe (or pipes) depending on the box design/flow rate, where it will then run directly into your sump. Most people will add a filter sock at this point to collect all the crud coming from your display.

Once the above is up and running you can add a suitable skimmer and reactor (and possibly a refugium if you have the return pump section of your sump separated from the rest via baffles).

doug_amanda likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice