1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Removing External Filter?

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by simon37, Mar 4, 2018.

1. simon37

simon37 Registered

Hi all. I've been considering removing the external filter (fluval 206) from my 125 litre soft coral reef. The filter is filled with live rock rubble with a bit a floss on the top. Reason I'd like to remove it is more to do with laziness in cleaning it I'm afraid. If I could get away with not needing it and having to clean it on a regular basis that would make maintaining my tank so much more enjoyable to maintain. Tasks such as water changes, testing etc I do quite enjoy but not filter cleaning :(

The tank contains approx 15kg of live rock, dd media reactor with phos remover and a reefloat air driven skimmer. Would this be all the filtration I need? Do I really need the extra filtration from the external? The tank does contain 10 small fish.

Thanks in advance.

2. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Is all to do with nutrient export and waste removal I suppose, if you had no external filter or sump then all the detritus (poop and leftover food, etc.. not eaten by your cuc) would remain in your display. 10 small fish in a 125 litre system will make a lot of poop.

Your filtration would effectively be only your live rock in the display, which would have to have sufficient flow (water movement) through it to make it beneficial with nutrient export being supported by your reactor and skimmer.

Only one way top find out I suppose....give it a go (ditch the filter) and monitor your nutrient levels. Worse case scenario is that you'd have to do more regular water changes (along with blowing off the live rock and perhaps hoovering the sand/gravel now and again).

3. simon37

simon37 Registered

OK yes I guess the fish load is what concerns me with removing the filter. I do have 2 x 1500 lph circulation pumps in the tank along with the 15kg of live rock so hopefully enough flow etc or do you think I may need more? Currently I water change 10% weekly. I was advised by one LFS to not disturb the sandbed. Not sure if I should vacuum it or not?

4. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Vacuuming (if needed) is just to remove the crud off the top, the idea is not to move the bed around. If your circ pumps are blowing the majority of crud from your rocks and giving the necessary flow to your tank mates (without dead spots) then you should be alright.

If you have dead spots then you may need to add another pump. Your water changes, reactor and skimmer should keep everything sweet (and simples) :)

Happy reefing :D

5. simon37

simon37 Registered

OK great. That's makes sense. I've read so many things about canister filters being bad on a marine tank (although mine is filled with live rock rubble) that I've wondered if simply better to remove it. Thanks for the responses.

6. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

You're welcome :) If things don't work out, you can always try something else (that's the best part of this hobby....finding out what works and what doesn't).

simon37 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice