1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Redundancy - how would you cope with a power cut?

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by Fishpalace, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Out shopping this morning and whilst @ go outdoors the store had a power cut, in fact all of the stores across Lakeside retail park did.

That got me thinking, what would I do if I had no power and had an oh sh!t moment. If it was just our house then no problem as I could hook up to neighbors electric but what about if it was the whole row of houses. I would be stuffed so now thinking of investing in Ecotech battery packs for 2 x wp40's and vectra m1 pump. Should I get 1 for each piece of kit, looks like I should but need to research a bit more.

So what redundancy do you have for your tank should you have a power cut?

Paul

2. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Cry if its for a long period, I would not be concerned about the movement of water to be fair, only the heat issue, or lack of it, it would be a case of wrapping the duvet around the tank and hope and pray that the power comes back on sooner rather than later, I do have a camping stove in the garage which is gas, so if push comes to shuv, I would have to boil r/o water and apply that, the down side to living out in the sticks is we dont have any gas out here, so its a case of needs must which ever way you can really.

3. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

I have a petrol generator, not a big one but would put heaters in the tank and run them and a power head, just hope its not night time as next door neighbour would not be happy if I had it running all night

4. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I always thought surface agitation would be the 1st priority to keep the oxygen flowing and then heat

5. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

would have power head on surface off the tank mixing water and air

6. Stribers92

Stribers92 Registered

I noticed fish street now do a battery back up for the Jebao/Jecod pumps too.

7. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Just seen that Tunze have a kit that allow you to hook up to an external battery, not sure where you can get the kit from or what kind of battery but there certainly seems to be some options to choose from.

8. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

9. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Personally and this is just my thoughts, surface agitation would remove heat, and that is the last thing I would want in this situation to be honest, oxygen wise, there should be enough in the tank for a good 8 hours or so that would suffice, I know saturation plays a part, and water can only hold so much, but corals would die a lot faster without heat than through the lack of oxygen, IMHO.

Your right on the water movement part, which is something I have not considered until now, so I will need to look in to a battery backup unit of some kind. Big Thumbs Up

10. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

So a little more thought going in to this, and here is my way of attacking this possible issue.

Step 1. Determine how much current (Amps) your system takes, Energy Plug or an Amp meter will tell you this.
    Step 2. Work on a worse case basis of having no power for say 12 hours
    Step 3. Once you have determined how much current your system takes, purchase a 12v to 240v inverter with a slightly higher wattage then you need.
    Step 4. Purchase a new or second hand car battery (scrap yard) with a high cranking Amp (600+).
    Step 5. Keep the battery fully charged in the garage/shed, and you should be ready to go if the need ever arises.

Total cost depending if you go new or second hand on the battery would be around £50-£100`ish

11. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Like it.

I am going to look into maybe using the eco tech battery which is expensive but convenient as can hook it up and keep in cabinet.

Also have what you have suggested, just in case it goes on longer than 24 hours which is highly unlikely but possible.

12. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Lack of oxygen would be the biggest issue
    I had this happen last year and lost a lot of fish

I've had the house rewired
    And have the ecotech battery back up for my mp40s

13. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

take it you had a fault on the house electrics, when I put the 10ft tank in I put it on its own fuse board so house power can trip with a fault and fish tank will stay on same if I have a fault on fish tank house power stays on so could power from house, when I put the fish house up I put that on its own fuse board so I have 3 fuse boards in the house

14. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Have you got them for each vortech?

What about vectra, I am not sure if I should get for a mp40 or go for vectra although I can imagine the vectra has a higher voltage therefore not last so long but certainly keeps the surface choppy.

96% sure I will go for vectra as just plug and play even though there are cheaper options

15. jim_fitz

each back up can do 2 units but i will just do one per
    i need to get a second one soon

was going to put them on the vectras, but they are some distance away

16. jim_fitz

yes the whole house was out
    devastated - lost a pair of japanese dwarf angels

sysyem now has its own fuse board

17. merser

merser Registered

I have encountered a few power cuts now but thankfully none for long.

There are loads of cheap backup battery packs on eBay which are identical in function to the ecotech ones and much cheaper.

18. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Good call, had a quick look.

My concern is one of quality and reliability, need to be convinced they have both

19. feeblebob

feeblebob Registered

I think I had a thread on this a while back, and it's still something I'm looking to design in to the new tank. Some great discussion here though, and plenty to chew on.

20. warby

warby Registered

Iv got a pc ups that kicks in to keep power on my return pump and stc 1000 don't really need anything else to run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice