1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Redsea colours

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by leopardshark, Oct 16, 2015.

1. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Hi I've just got my first box of redsea colours abcd ect .... I was wondering . do i now need to buy the colours test kits at £50 .. Or can I work out the dose a different way as everything seems dependant on calcium ... If this is the case can someone explain it to me simply .. I mean very simply

Love to hear all your views and comments

2. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

I got a box of this sat in me cupboard, been there for a while now (6 months or so), here is what I found... brought the separate test kits, Boron, Potassium, iodine not the red sea ones but the Sal ones, as it was cheaper, now I do use red sea pro salt for the record, which is high in most things anyway.

But convinced I could improve on this, I brought the colours ABCD, tested the levels of the above mentioned, to find all where within guidance lines of where they should be, some slightly lower but not by much, thinking that I had invested in this quiet heavy now (this stuff doesn`t come cheap as you know), I decided to dose a small amount to bring it in to the higher guidance levels, mainly the Blues and Red/Pinks.

Things started to shrivel up after about a week and I didn`t notice any colour difference to be honest, though it was only a week, so I doubt it had time to do anything, so I weighed up my options, improve 1 or 2 coral colours in the risk of losing many, or just stick with the water changes with the red sea pro and leave them to do their own thing, second option won.

So personally I would look at what coral or corals you are wanting to improve in colour first, then buy a test kit for that choice, measure it and see where it is at, Dose small with whichever one you are using and see how things react to it, if things start looking like there going downhill, stop dosing.
    I am now firmly rooted to the fact that a good high level salt no matter what brand can and does supply everything needed for corals to survive, growth/colours I now believe is down to how much nutrients they can gather from the water, high nutrients increase growth, low nutrients increase colour, as long as the temp and lights are fine of course.

Don`t know if this was any good to you or not, but it is what I discovered from using it, maybe one day I will break out the test kits again, and test and try again, but at the moment, I will let them do there thing for now.

Good Luck on whatever way you go though. Big Thumbs Up

3. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Ok so I've decided to dose on my calcium uptake so I'm trying to work out what my daily calcium consumption is

Mon

Ca 440
    Kh9.2 •d
    Mg1520

Tues
    Ca 355
    Kh10.4
    Mg1100

Is that right it's seems a little too much

4. warby

warby Registered

Seems an awful lot that matey, my 5foot tank uses about 10-15ppm per day calc from what I remember.

5. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

I'm going to retest tommorow
    At the same time and see what the results are ...

6. warby

warby Registered

What kits are you using?
    85 ppm seems alot for 1day lol. What size is the tank?

7. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

2 foot cube and I'm using redsea ca mg kh reef foundation pro test kit...

I have a sump with about 20 mangroves

8. warby

warby Registered

Something defiantly isn't right there lol, 85 ppm per day in a 2ft cube. I'd start again test today then test tomorrow.

9. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Erm what times the best to test lights on or lights off???

10. warby

warby Registered

If I remember from when I did mine it was about 1pm both times but I don't think it matters too much. Also I did mine on let's say Monday then again on Friday and divide the difference in results by 5 so it takes an average and use that as a starting point

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice