1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Red Sea V Jbl Ca/mg/kh

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by NoK3, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:13 PM.

1. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I’ve been running a comparison between the two test kits stated above and there’s a consistent theme. Mg is generally 60 higher on Red Sea, eg JBL 1300, Red Sea 1360. On Ca Red Sea is 40 higher eg JBL 380 and Red Sea 420. The question is: which test kit is considered to be more reliable? Any views or opinions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

Red Sea is the more accurate
    Why not mix a fresh batch of water test that and compare the results to the salt manufacturers parameters on the salt

3. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

Just tested the salt water from LFS (TMC) and at 1025 the Mg reading was 1540. The reference point according to TMC should be 1300 to 1400. This suggests the RedSea kit is reading high. Very high! If 1550 is equivalent to say 1400 then my magnesium reading is woefully low at 1350 may be nearer 1200. I’ve also notice my Zoa’s not opening

4. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I feel like I’m disappearing down a hole of analysis. I’ve established that Red Sea is recording 60 and 40 on Mg and Ca when compared to JBL. I’m now doing the same comparison with Salifert and Mg again Red Sea appears to by higher by 50. On Ca it’s a different story. Red Sea is consistency higher than JBL by 40 but Salifert is higher compared to Red Sea by 30. A real mixed bag of results. The question is which ones to go with. The thing with Red Sea is it’s so fiddly and if you don’t get the mixing right on Mg results are erratic.

5. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

Have you thoroughly cleaned the test vials ?
    You should make sure they are completely clean. I soak mine in citric acid crystals mixed with RO

6. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I’ll need to get some grime somewhere. I can’t keep on with such a gap as it’s screwing up my dosing and therefore corals are becoming an issue. Particularly my Zoa’s as I think the parameters are all wrong

7. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

Cleaned the vials with Citric Acid. No difference in the results. RedSea is higher than both JBL and Salifert by 50ish but both JBL and Salifert are similar.