1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Red Sea max 130d

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by percula24, Feb 22, 2014.

1. percula24

percula24 Registered

I'm after buying one of these tanks this week but hve seen so many different tanks with different upgrades and thought I would rather just get an original one so I know nothing is wrong , but I was wondering which lighting is the better out of the original 54w bulbs the tanks come with or 3 aquarays 3 being whites and 1 being blues
    Thanks

2. Alex433

Alex433 Registered

The original 54w bulbs that the tank comes with however I have added a Fiji blue aqua ray as a moonlight.

3. percula24

percula24 Registered

That's what I want to do when I eventually get one leave it original but put an aquaray in the feeding lid , there's so many different ways ppl have set these tanks up I'm struggling to know if going standard or not is best

4. Alex433

Alex433 Registered

Going standard has been fine for meBig Thumbs Up

5. percula24

percula24 Registered

Have you got any of the other upgrades from pumps to skimmer and media chamber

6. phantomwinger

phantomwinger Registered

Running the standard T5s with an Aquabeam Fuji for actinic.
    A few of the common mods are to stop some of the 'issues' rather than mod just for the sale of it.
    Upgraded return pumps an 100% to counter act micro bubbles, dump the balls in what is referred to as 'the chamber of death' and skimmer swap out as the stock one is hard work.

There's a legendary RSM130 thread on another forum by a guy called StevieT. It ran for nearly 2 years.
    The guy knows these tanks so well he even started up a business producing some of the most used mods. Look for a company called 'InTank'.
    They sell media racks and such like.

7. percula24

percula24 Registered

Yeah that's the media rack I was on about with the tunze 9002 skimmer , should I look for a tank with these 2 upgrades in but with stock lighting

8. Alex433

Alex433 Registered

I haven't upgraded the return pumps as of yet but as [MENTION=21266]phantomwinger[/MENTION] said I have upgraded the skimmer and media chamber to an InTank media rack and a tunze 9002 skimmer as I had many problems with the stock skimmer and also the tunze is a lot smaller so it leaves you with a lot of room.

9. phantomwinger

phantomwinger Registered

I got my stock 130 off fleebay for £150. Was all in working order. Just with a few scratches and needed a good clean.
    The money I saved on a new 130d allowed me to get everything I wanted.
    You'll find that most 130 owners have pretty much the same mods. Although some do a custom LED thing in the hood. Not my bag though.
    Next month I'm adding a sump with a Tunze overflow. If you look for 130 and sump you'll hear a lot about a company called lifereef, who like InTank do 130 specific mods. Bloody expensive though!

10. percula24

percula24 Registered

I don't mind paying for the 130d cos I like the little changes with the wire coming on bk than side the extra blue LEDs and a nicer stand but everyone I see someone seems to have stripped the lights out or are too scratched

11. phantomwinger

phantomwinger Registered

The 130 has the blue moonlight LEDs too.
    Def go for the D if you are keeping stock.
    I'd recommend the 130 if modding.
    Just my opinion mate, everyone has their own on these things :)

12. percula24

percula24 Registered

I'm hoping get a 130d with intank media rack and tunze 9002 what would say is a good price for this

13. NeilBPrater

NeilBPrater Registered

I've got a 130d. I got it 2nd hand, it came with Tunze 9002 and media rack and also about 15kg of rock. It had no scratches and I paid £285 for it. I have modded it a bit since having it. I've kept the stock lights but added a blue aquaray strip on the reflector between the T5s for moonlight as the stock LEDs are a bit poor. I've also mounted an aquaray aqua beam Fiji blue to the underside of the hood with self adhesive cable ties for actinic. I've replaced one of the return pumps with a Eheim 600 as the original was Very noisy! I've also changed the stock hood fans for silent ones as again they were very noisy. Lastly I have got 2 Jebao WP10 wave makers for extra flow, I'm awaiting delivery of a dual controller to give better control of these. I must say it is a lovely little tank and is very quiet now.

14. percula24

percula24 Registered

I'd be happy if I could find a 130d with that skimmer and media rack even if it was empty for that price sound like you got a bargain

15. phantomwinger

phantomwinger Registered

My set up is virtually identical, apart from mine being a
    130 and only 1 wp-10, which I would massively recommend.
    No need to spend
    Hundreds on an MP10 wavemaker when the WP-10 is about £50.

16. Stitch76

Stitch76 Registered

I have a 130d with eheim pumps and a tunze9002 skimmer with intank media basket in storage.
    It needs the hood fans replacing( eBay about £10) and has a few little scratches your welcome to come and have a look this weekend yours for £200

17. percula24

percula24 Registered

Very interested pm d you

18. phantomwinger

phantomwinger Registered

Sounds a good deal to me! Get a pair of Gelid silent fans for about £12 on eBay.
    Jobs a good 'un

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice