1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Red Sea Coral Pro salt mixing

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by richard, Dec 14, 2012.

1. richard

richard Registered

I've recently switch over top red seas coral pro salt, and have been mixing each batch for 3 hours and then doing a 5ltr water change with no issues for the past month.

I've been reading a few threads about precipitation when mixing the salt, one of the main causes for this seems to be prolonged mixing.

I will soon be upgrading to a larger tank, so I will need to mix water to fill the tank, as the water will be in the tank with lots of flow it will constantly be mixing, will there be an issue with precipitation ?

2. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

I think you'll find the cause of the precipitation is when the salt is added to warm water. If it's added to cold water and brought up to temperature whilst it's mixing you won't have any problems.

3. Avalon

Avalon Registered

I'd also mix for 4 hours with bringing up to temperature for the last half hour or so,maybe abit longer if the water is really cold.After a 3 hour mix i've found the ph and alk have not quite stabalised and rise abit higher after another hour mix.

4. richard

richard Registered

yeh that seems to be one of the reasons, but from what read red sea say mixing for longer than 3 hours can also cause precipitation, but obviously its going to be mixing all the time in the display, suppose I'll just have to see what happens.

5. richard

richard Registered

I'll give mixing for four hours a go next water change then, but to be honest I don't pre-heat the water before I do the change, I just add it to the back filter compartment with the heater in and then let it flow into the display, never had any issues.

6. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

I use one of Gordon's awc units and mix it for about 2 hours then use the awc to change the water over a couple of hours

Never heat it up at all - no precipitation ever

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

7. Avalon

Avalon Registered

I've never had any precipitation at all and have been using this salt since it came out, either in my clear water containers or in the tank.I'm guessing your tank is small as your only doing 5 litres so think about a 4 hour mix including heating to get better stability of the salt mix.
    What i have noticed is excellent coral growth using this salt and they look good too.

8. richard

richard Registered

As any one used this salt to fill a full tank from the start, and if they youve any precipitation or residue left ?

Its probably just a coincidence, but I have been having issue with diatoms and algae in my tank for a while, 4 water changes with this salt and the algae as stopped growing and the sand is pure white :)

9. richard

richard Registered

And yeh my current tank is a river reef 48ltr, the new tank will be roughly 70ltrs, so only a small upgrade, still not sure if to use some of the water from the old tank or start from scratch with the red sea.

10. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

Just wondering whether you have just started doing regular WC's since you got the new salt or whether you have an established routine that hasn't changed apart from the brand of the salt?

Also, before I forget, I was told by Red Sea that with RSCP it's necessary to agitate the contents particularly when you first get it. This si because various elements and stuff in the salt tend to settle. They also recommend using the new mix within 3 hours to ensure you get the full benefit of all the nutrients etc.

11. richard

richard Registered

Well I slacked of on the water change routine for a couple of months then got back on track doing weekly water changes, did this for about 2 months maybe more whilst suffering from lots air algae, then decided to take the rock out scrub it all down and turn it upside down, which lead to a diatoms outbreak, and then changed to red sea four weeks ago, and have done four changes, and my tank as never looked clearer, there is still some hair algae but it doesn't seem to be growing, and like I said now signs of diatoms, now this could probably just be down to the general water changes and extra care I've been giving to the tank over the past few months finally taking effect but it does seem like things have changed for the better since switching to red sea.

12. richard

richard Registered

And yes I gave the salt a very good dry mix prior to using, and give it a good dry mix before each use, not sure if this is necessary prior to every change but thats what i've been doing.

13. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

Hi Richard,

I'm waiting to use the last of my TMC Tropic Marin Pro Reef and will then be getting a bucket of RSCP so this is very encouraging. I'm quite excited about changing mainly because of the elevated levels and of course the graphics on the bucket look super coooooool!

I bet your tank had a few extra nutrients and possibly a phosphate issue all of which have been diluted by the more recent spate of water changes.

Make this a weekly commitment and I bet the algae will be history for good!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  14. richard

richard Registered

yeh that will have been the issue, I will be continuing with the weekly changes and will do so with the the new tank as well, which I will be setting up on christmas day, so if anyones interested should be starting a new tank thread shortly, should be quite a unique set up, going to be a really shallow nano and using allot of branching rock wich I reserved today at my lfs :)

15. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

I've always mixed RSCP cold and never had issues with precipitation .
    Notice your in Creswell too bud , we'll av to have a cuppa one day :)

16. richard

richard Registered

Good to hear, would be great to have a look at another members tank, don't suppose your in the frag selling/swapping business ?

17. MarkR

MarkR Registered

Yep, I only set my tank up about 2 months ago and I mixed it all into my tank warm and it did precipitate. See thread here http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/help-advice/127346-salt-now-added-how-long-clear.html

As soon as I put the Live Rock in it cleared in about 2 hours. Definitely mix cold and then warm it up.

I also use one of Gordon's AWC units, so much quicker, only takes about 1 hour to do a 30 litre water change. Only takes 2 hours to mix the salt whilst you put your feet up.

18. richard

richard Registered

So hopefully if I mix cold I shouldn't have any issues, I can't wait to set the tank up now :)

19. MarkR

MarkR Registered

You should be fine if you mix cold. I must say I loved setting up my tank from the beginning to end. Cant wait to setup my larger tank up in about 6 months lol (Although I haven't told the Mrs yet!!)

Good luck with it!

20. slicker55

slicker55 Registered

TSB Tip Of The Day....

Slip out of bed in the middle of the night, do the change-over and she might not notice :thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice