1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Raising clownfish fry

Discussion in 'Fish Health' started by saltyseadog, Jan 22, 2017.

1. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Registered

So after two unsuccessful attempts I appear to be doing something right!! Day 8 since hatching and my frostbite clownfish fry are doing well! Even to the point that some are on the verge of metamorphosising.

Light: Simple desk lamp left on 24/7. Read somewhere that the best results come from having light on for first 14 days. Any opinions otherwise?
    Tank: Small 7-10 litre tank
    Heater: 26 degrees
    Air: small air stone bubbling gently
    Ammonia Alert sensor
    Water: replacing a bowl of water every day with a dripped siphon
    Food: 6 cups of rotifers and 32ml of baby brine shrimp a day. Seperated into two feedings every 12 hours or so
    Concentrated phyto drops added to tank daily

As you can see the fry are eating well and have full bellies. I know I may be overfeeding slightly but this keeps them going between feeds and gives them plenty to hunt. Approximately 50 fry are still alive in the tank and and I am gradually weaning them onto baby brine shrimp only.

14851277339191791646627.jpg

14851277891901481106377.jpg

Attached Files:

2. penzo

penzo Registered

Well done for getting to this stage,I beleive its quite time consuming,how have you found it?

3. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Very cool how many have survived ?

4. warby

warby Registered

well done for raising them! never looked into it as my clowns have never spawned lol.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

5. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Registered

Not too bad actually. I probably spend 1-1.5 hours a day just feeding, changing water and such. Other than that they are left to it during the day!

6. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Registered

Currently there are about 50 in the tank still alive. Lots of them are on the verge of changing so I look forward to seeing how they look when they go through meta!

7. CEECH

CEECH Registered

very cool keep us posted :) looking forward to seeing the pictures :)

8. Eaval

Eaval Registered

Im sure I read to let them rest either the first night or first 24hrs, cant remember which.

idea being to let them get only the strain of being born and to chill out at the bottom.

Keep meaning to try to raise my clown fry ... meaning to but never getting around to :(

9. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Registered

I had a very dim light on the first few nights while they were getting used to it. Lost about 20-30 of them over the first few days but since then I have only lost 1-2 of them.

The rest of them are all eating well and swimming all over the tank, occasionally darting across like ballistic missiles! I used the greenwater method to make the food easier to see in the tank.

EDIT BY WARBY: no sales posts or promoting sales in any other section but the classifieds please :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  10. Eaval

Eaval Registered

[MENTION=23639]saltyseadog[/MENTION] hope you have got my PM? Sorry if you got it twice.

11. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Registered

So made a bit of a newbie error yesterday. Decided to move the fry to the grow out tank. While most of them survived I lost about 6 in the transition :(

I think there are now about 10-15 alive but since my last update I lost quite a few on a daily basis. Unsure as to the reasons why as I fed them frequently and kept everything else balanced. Could just be that they weren't able to make it through meta.

On the plus side I have one small clownfish with two stripes swimming around happily, and the rest are slowly starting to get some colour :) I'm feeding only baby brineshrimp now and will move onto crushed flake in a few days also!

12. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Registered

Also had another 100 hatch on Friday night. However, went down to the hatch tank last night and they were all dead :(. Very strange as nothing has changed and I cleaned everything out before adding the new fry to it. Guess it is just a case of first night death?

13. Eaval

Eaval Registered

There is an old clownfish breeding book thats kinda a bible. Has a chart that maps out likely causes of looses at various stages.

How many days from hatch are they now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice