1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Question about ro float valve

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by heller792, Jan 2, 2014.

1. heller792

heller792 Registered

Am i right in saying if i put a float valve on my ro top up then although it will stop filling the waste water will continue to go through the pre filters 24/7

2. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

I got one of these and never worked it out Dave, so excellent question, and how do you set it up?

3. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

I believe it goes between pre filters and membrane [MENTION=11655]LittleOcean[/MENTION] or [MENTION=12861]reefloat[/MENTION] maybe able to confirm tho ;)

4. heller792

heller792 Registered

Basically i want the float valve to raise as it fills up a seperate tank for storage of ro water and shut off when its full.

5. reefloat

reefloat Registered

[MENTION=11655]LittleOcean[/MENTION] best person to answer this, he can also supply the valve Big Thumbs Up

6. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I got mine from Toby at littleocean and work fine.it goes between the pre filters and the membrane outlet ,well thats where mine is

7. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

My ro tank has this. I believe if the float knocks off the flow then no water is passing through the unit so no waste. That was my understanding of it.

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

If float valve is end of line, the surely it's the same effect as switching flush valve on ?

9. rabbut

rabbut Registered

It depends if you get a pressure stop valve. A float alone on the RO output would indeed leave your unit ditching water to waste once the tank is full. Most people therefore add a pressure stop valve. The RO output and supply feed pass though this and when enough pressure builds in the RO output line (due to the float blocking the pipe when your container is full) it will turn off the feed into the unit, stopping it from wasting water :smile:

10. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

As Nev and rabbut said, you'll need a pressure switch if you want to cut the feed off, the auto shut off kit comes with a float valve and the pressure switch and instructions etc ..

The pressure switch has two sides, the side the output is plumbed to which has the float valve on , and on the other side the input to the membrane , when the float valve operates it applies pressure to the switch which the cuts off the feed to the membrane

11. chris

chris Registered

I have a float valve on my topup and when it shuts off the pump stops on RO and all water stops to. chris

12. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

mine stops when my ro container is full and completely stops all water flow including waste

13. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

You could always just have the float valve on the end as a precaution but don't forget to turn it off as the waste will carry on flowing and that's the majority with ro units

14. heller792

heller792 Registered

I have in the attic a bubble magus ro float switch, this will go on the end. So do you have a link Toby to the pressure switch and is that all I need?

15. heller792

heller792 Registered

Also I have good pressure on my domestic supply, will the finished filtered water make it 10m if I plumb it to my tank and put the float in the sump

16. rabbut

rabbut Registered

You should be fine piping that distance, so long as it's horizontally not vertically upwards.

17. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

here is my auto shut off on my ro system including the float valve in the storage tub P1020690.jpg P1020691.jpg

18. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Agree with Rabbut, horizontal distance not a problem, here's the valve LittleOcean Aquatic products - Auto Shut Off Pressure Valve Switch

Just be aware that when in the top up it's not the best position as it'll turn your ro unit on and off all the time, so with TDS creep your DI will not last as long..

The way I would do it is fill a large barrel with 0 tds then gravity feed this barrel via another float into your topup.. you then don't have to worry about the tds for 300L worth etc..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice