1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Quarantine didnt work,Fish dying now

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Sip, Aug 24, 2011.

1. PETE W

PETE W Registered

OK mate. I take the hint. If I seem to lecture I apologise. I've been keeping fish for over 30 yrs with few problems so if i'm talking ******** to everyone i'm quitting this forum.

2. PETE W

PETE W Registered

OK mate. I take the hint. If I seem to lecture I apologise. I've been keeping fish for over 30 yrs with few problems so if i'm talking ******** to everyone i'm quitting this forum.

3. Sip

Sip Registered

Pete, You need to relax a bit,, Please take the time to read some of your old posts mate, They can be abrupt and rude, You actually post on one recently that Nitrates should be 1 ppm.... So for someone whos been keeping fish for 30 years that wouldnt be a normal statement. This puts your credability at risk and how am i supposed to take your advice seriously when i read that?. Wether you choose to quit the forum or not makes absolutly no difference to me at all. What i will say is to think hard about it, Just because i dont feel that your advice is either sound or relivant to me doesnt mean that it wont do someone else some good. There is always the chance that your advice will help someone out and thats what this forums all about. Its your decision Mate but if everyone left the forum everytime there advice was challenged or questioned then there would be no one here.. THAT MY FRIEND IS A FACT..Would you like a cuddle??????:friends::friends:

4. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

mate,
    give us a ring anytime you like, sometimes good to talk than type ;)

pm me if youve not still got my number

5. PETE W

PETE W Registered

Sip,
    Believe it or not when you use live rock as your main filtration in a Berlin system, 1ppm or less nitrate is perfectly achievable if you have enough. I have basic test kits that register zero. pete

6. Crypto

Crypto Registered

I think the problem which exists here between the two parties and others is the common grey area between 'Experience' and 'Scientific knowledge'.

In this hobby we have a distinct lack of scientific input. For several reasons:

(a) Aquariums are of little interest to scientists.
    (b) Any published material is not accessible to the public.
    (c) Lack of understanding by the average reader.

We have experience which is a practical and applicable approach to fish keeping. However comes with many problems:

(a) Lack of understanding which results in presumptions.
    (b) Lack of testing and use of controls.

We believed the world was flat for thousands of years which is a great assumption based on experience, i.e not falling or floating out into space. However when we start to use science and understand rather than experience whats happening, we come up with a new theory of a circular earth and gravity. This is what we use today and have great evidence for.

Taking this approach to the above comments; we have Pete who has more experience than probably most people on this forum. However this comes with problems.

Pete understands that disease is based on water quality, which is a good assumption. Braking the problem down by using a scientific approach, degrading water quality can have an effect on the fish (gills, stress), which ultimately affects the immunity. What Pete doesn't know and hasn't accounted for is parasites are not affected by water quality and will host a fish regardless of its immunity at the start.

Similarly I think Pete mentioned Nitrite. From his experience freshwater fish are severely affected by nitrite poisoning. Due to the lack of scientific knowledge translated into the hobby and his reluctance to place any fish into water with a nitrite content, he wouldn't have known due to the chloride amount in seawater; this affects the nitrite uptake in the gills and its therefore not toxic.

This problem is not any individuals fault. Its just unknowns and false information has been passed down from individuals and the gap between science and aquariums is still significantly apart.

Aaron

7. Sip

Sip Registered

Lets just kiss and make up or agree to disagree.. Your choice Pete, Im easy either way, but what i dont wanna do is get into an online debate or arguement that is pointless and is not constructive in any way shape or form.. I will leave it to you to decide which road you wanna go down.. But it ends here either way yes?? Si

8. Sip

Sip Registered

The whole ive been keeping fish 30 years bit does my nut in tbh. Like thats a qualification. Im gonna stick my neck out here Aaron and guess you know more about fish health than a man whos kept them in his home aquarium for 40 years..... I myself have been driving 30 years and im still rubbish at it. Ergo. time in hobby means nowt. An educated man can learn more in a month than a moron can learn in a lifetime...I dont consider myself an academic by any means but i am not a moron either, hence i take offence when i am treated to or spoken to like said moron by a man who post some real gems on other members questions. I dont want to fall out with Pete and have offered cuddles. What more can i do..
    PS The world aint flat??? Since when :tongue:

9. Turner

Turner Registered

Come on guys and shake hands.. I hate reading posts that look like people are gettin at each other.. the forum was set up I believe for help and being friendly.. nothing about handbags at 10 paces people:)))

10. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

turner,
    tbh i dont think theres nothing going on than an unfortunate set of circumstances...
    obviously when your having a real battle with something it doesnt take much to send you over
    problem is, this world is virtual and you cant see or hear peoples tones so sometimes things seem blunt or direct,,
    its took me a while to learn to bite my tongue when ive thought someones having a dig and on occasion have rised
    sip is having a rotter of a couple of days and not many people know his level of experience or how to ask without insult

i mean with 5-6000 members on here theres bound to be the odd difference but it always gets resolved

11. Sip

Sip Registered

Shut it ya slag HystericalHystericalHysterical

12. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

chin up HystericalHystericalHystericalHystericalHystericalHystericalHystericalHystericalHysterical

13. PETE W

PETE W Registered

OK fine. I surrender. I realise that I write in a patronising way sometimes like a book trying to give information but that is how we were taught to write 40 yrs ago. Most people write as they speak which is not what i'm used to. I am sorry. Shake hands??

14. Sip

Sip Registered

Already shaken mate.. No worries:thumbup1:

15. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

get a room ffs smiley-sex020

16. Turner

Turner Registered

Haha.. and we all lived happy ever after.. well when this horid velvet fooooks right off we do. Fingers crossed bud u over the worst now:)

17. Sip

Sip Registered

Yellow tang showing no spots at all now, He never had many to start to be fair but none is better than one..Could still see a couple last night.. Hope this is the end and they start to pick up..

18. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

id say it cant get worse mate unless you start frying some more rock...
    sorry, hope that was the right time.....

19. Sip

Sip Registered

The tangs me fav fish. Would be gutted if he went that way. I dont wanna tempt fate but its looking brighter today than it has been for a couple of days.. I got everything crossed for luck

20. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

including your knickers...?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice