1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Quarantine didnt work,Fish dying now

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Sip, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Super glue is reef safe.
    There wont be any residue from the gas but it will have killed the LR off.

This may well have all been caused by a spike from the LR??

For future reference, superglue will stick to wet rock, and under water if needs be.

2. Sip

Sip Registered

Cheers bud for the glue info, The rock was about fist sized and it was only heated on one side.. The tank volume is 500+litres probably closer to 600 with the sump i guess,, Would that amount of a spike cause this much damage and would it explain the skin condition?? I thot it might be the glue on the skin but glad it wasnt that i would have felt like a right helmetWorship

3. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

A piece of rock in a mature tank that size..............I doubt it very much TBH.

4. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

It was Super glue (Cyanoacrylate) that you used????

5. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

Even the Smallest ammonia spike is deadly to certain species but tbh I'm not going to ficus on that, I'd like to hear from someone that knows about gas(butane is it) but that's unlikely :-/
    Other than that were back to square 1 mate but as I've said, what you have left now must be strong enough to pull through it
    Have you ruled out everything else? As said your little uns tossing something in the tank?
    Air fresheners near by?

6. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

Only 2 months old?

7. Sip

Sip Registered

Yeh bud, Deffo just superglue. Not the gel just the normal glue

8. Sip

Sip Registered

No Paul... The rock its stuck on came from my smaller tank so its 3 years old, over 2 years in previous owners tank then 8 to 9 months in my small tank then into the upgrade, Its never been allowed to dry in that time always kept it wet..

9. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

But how long has the this tank been running mate as less than a couple of months would mean it's quite fragile imo

10. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Ahh...............I assumed it was a mature tank as it had seemed quite a few fish in it.

11. Sip

Sip Registered

Yeh mate, checked the params several times and everything is ok, I wont bore you with the actaull readings.. Nothing i can see from the kids puting anything in and dont have fresheners near the tank, No painting or decorating,, Nothing out the ordinary has been done mate. It was just another day in the life of Si that happened to go pete tong big style.. Im still thinking manky infected fish from lfs but cant be sure.. I keep a log on my laptop, everything from water changes to twice weekly params etc etc, even down to how much ive topped up on a certain day, Its a proper anal log and my missus has sanity checked it and it seems everything was ok untill this fish went in then all hell broke loose..

12. Sip

Sip Registered

Most of the fish ive had for months, alot of old water went in the new tank, All my old rock went in the tank along with some new rock i bought of a dodgy looking bloke,, All my old corals went over, Really its only the glass thats new and the sump contents..

13. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

Fair doos mate, don't mean to question your housekeeping but was hoping something might spring to mind when I ask daft questions :-/
    If it helps then go with dodgy fish, hope for the survivors and keep going ?

14. Sip

Sip Registered

c/beauty now gone to the godiva in the sky...

15. ladielucie

ladielucie Registered

16. PETE W

PETE W Registered

Sorry about your losses but it takes several months to stock a marine aquarium. As you have found out marine fish are not used to being moved from tank to tank as their conditions in the wild are very stable and although you think you have your water spot on you obviously didn't. Even if some fish are carrying pathogens provided conditions are spot on they can cure themselves without any treatment on our part. I don't know if you read up on your subject but if you don't there are plenty of good books out there. A good one is THE MARINE AQUARIUM BY VINCENT HARGREAVES. Read that as I have and you won't go far wrong. Good luck.

17. Sip

Sip Registered

Listen pete im not an idiot ok, My water params are spot on, These have been checked my myself and lfs ok. I read up loads on marine fish before even staring the hobby. Ive read some of your previous comments to other users and to be honest mate i think some of your answers are both a load of bolllox and sometimes just flat out rude.. If youve nothing constructive to say then please don insult my intelligence with comments like the above. I WILL MAKE IT CLEAR AGAIN, WATER PARAMATERS HAVE BEEN SENT TO CRYPTO ( FISH HEALTH EXPERT) NO ISSUES WITH WATER... CRYSTAL??? Im losing fish left right and centre and really dont need to be told my waters wrong by someone who has very little knowledge themselves going by previous replies to other users... I would say sorry if this offends but truth be told im not pete.. Im Flucking stressed to the max at the moment and dont need it

18. rabbut

rabbut Registered

OK folks, take a deep breath. I'm sure no offence was intended, even if it was caused :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of your trouble Sip. Hopefully things will find their way back onto an even keil shortly for you.

Did the LFS expert manage to suggest anything on his visit?

19. Sip

Sip Registered

He suspected velvet but couldnt diagnose 100% without tissue etc, He was really good to be fair, didnt try to sell me anything just advised very close observation. plent feed but dont overdo it and try to get into q/t tank. He tried for around 20 mins to catch them but no luck and reckoned that was the max time he would try due to causing stress.. Seems they are just slowly going mate. Nothing i do is helping so as he said its just a waiting game..He tested onsite in my home with my redsea kit and salifert kits, took all readings and then took a water sample to the shop, Tested with there own kits and apart from very small differences that he put down to the time it took to get the water sample from my tank to his test everything is well within its tolerances..
    As for my last post. Like i said im having proper experts check params etc and when someone just jumps in saying that im OBVIOUSLY WRONG it doesnt help, but i am perfectly calm bud,, No worries on that side..Just a bit stressed:w00t:

20. Sip

Sip Registered

Update, I never seen my flasher wrasse this morning and assumed the worst,, He has just swam out from the rockwork to feed and only 3 or 4 spots showing that i can see. Swimming at the front like he always does, watching the world go by.... I last seen him yesterday lunchtime and he had a lot of spots on him then. More than i could count to be honest..Could this be the start of the recovery or is this likely to flare up again, Assuming its velvet.. No other fish are getting worse but saying that they are not getting better either They just seem to be hanging on

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice