1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Quarantine didnt work,Fish dying now

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Sip, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sip

Sip Registered

I have a question for the experts, Basically where did i go wrong. I bought a coral beauty 12 weeks ago, Its been in quarantine since then at my friends house for the 1st 4 weeks then 8 weeks at mine since, Deffo no contact with other fish at friends house, Thats fact.. Healthy lovely greedy eater of a litle fish, No probs at all. I put it in my display tank sunday and last night seen it starting to show w/s or velvet? Wasnt sure.. Got up this morning and she,s covered in spot. Still feeding, not glanging of rocks and seems to be behaving ok, Had a look round the tank and my little fireball angel is starting to show spot aswell. Shes been in the tank months with no probs.The only issues ive had is a royal gram flashing at rock, I got him out as he was marked but deffo not spot, Its damage from glancing, I had added phosguard 2 days before he started to glance and was told by lfs it may be that, I check with the seachem website and it states some fish may be hyper sensative to this product so fair enough.. Why after 12 weeks q/t would it show signs of spot after just 2 days in the tank and why would it spread to my f/ball so quickly?? I just dont get it..Should say no other fish showing signs.. Some facts. No cross contamination, diff nets used on both tanks to be honest its different everything used on both tanks and everything ro dipped before going into quarantine tank,, I even wash my hands in ro if i have to put it in the tank. Any Ideas where i could have messed up??Oh Finally, Please dont say get them out the tank because now there in its mission impossible. It would stress the other fish way to much and there are to many places to hide that i physically just cannot get to.. The only fish i can get out is my royal because he is to stubborn to get out of the way of the net.. He aint to sharp btw..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Maybe you should have put the fish through hyposalinity to kill off any parasites on it.

3. Sip

Sip Registered

Re: Quarantine didnt work

She had 3 ro baths while in quarantine.. I had to move her over at some point, Now im thinking ive given her 12 weeks of being on her own in a bare tank for nothing...

4. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

only thing I can think of is you already had it in your tank and stress of adding fish/net in to catch the royal has affected the fireball. What made you quarantine have you had disease in your main tank before?

5. Mayo

Mayo Registered

According to crypto ro baths won't kill white spot:(

6. Mayo

Mayo Registered

+1 on that or he didn't have it in his tank and it did come in on his new fish because no treatment wasn't used. It just didn't show during quarantine because it was stress free.

7. Sip

Sip Registered

Yip I has a small case of spot early in the year with a regal tang i had, Got the tang out before it spread and didnt fancy going through it again, Unless its lay dormant for 6 months without affecting any other fish? I dont know.. All i know is that sometimes this hobby does my head right in. The net doesnt bother the other fish when im going for the royal g mate, He aint the sharpest tool in the box and refuses to get out the way of the net so its a simple 3 maybe 4 second scoop to get him out, The other fish just look on, They must be thinking he is a right *******It doesnt seem to matter what you do. **** will enevitably happen anyway.. From what i can make out i could have quarantined this fish for 12 months and the stress of moving to the tank could still have caused a flare up of spot... So ,, why quarantine.
    Mayo, I know ro baths dont kill spot but they do get rid of other parasites thats why the fish was bathed in ro bud, Not for the spot.. Crossed wires there i think.. Si

8. PETE W

PETE W Registered

I've had four fish and iv'e quarantined none of them. Straight home,straight in the tank no problems at all. If they look clean in the dealers then they should be ok as he should have quarantined them anyway. I'm wondering if there's more stress by moving them from tank to tank with different parameters at different times with all that entails. Get them where they need to be straight away with as little stress as possible. Hope this helps.

9. Mayo

Mayo Registered

If you already had it in your system then from what I've read it will lay dormant until a fish is weak or stressed out then it will flare up. It will always be there until you quarantine all fish and treat them and leave your system fallow for six weeks.

10. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

yep which is where I've been at since Christmas. Its in my tank, it never shows up on the fish that have been in a while but very very occasionally shows up on new stock. It could be wrong but I was once told if you add a fish and 2/3 days later it shows with spot then the spot is in your tank and thats how long it takes for it to show on the fish.

11. Sip

Sip Registered

I get where your coming from but if it hasnt had a host for 6 months (which it hasnt) then it should all be dead...No fish have shown signs so as far as im concerned its dead..

12. Sip

Sip Registered

Tank parameters are exactly the same, I use the same water to change in both tanks on the same day, It less stress than you collecting your fish, driving it home and dropping it in your tank. Actually its way less as the water is the same sg etc.. So thats that theory blown apart, As for just sticking them in the tank without any quarantine thats just russian roulette, eventually you will get caught out. They can look clean in the shop but still be hosting parasites. If it was as easy as just having a look in the lfs then none of us would have any problems would we...

13. PETE W

PETE W Registered

Apparently all wild caught marine fish harbour low life parasite infections anyway and there is nothing we can do about that whatever medications we throw at them. What we can do however is to make sure a newcomer is as stress free as possible when it is added to the tank. A copperband butterfly I had years ago lived with whitespot for over a year which he had before I added him to the main tank, but he never infected any of my other fish. He had a few spots when I added him but thought I could cure him which unfortunately I couldn't, but that's lack of experience for you.

14. PETE W

PETE W Registered

Do you reckon? Well I'm just 4 times lucky then. Can't help you unfortunately.

15. Mayo

Mayo Registered

I don't think that's the case with white spot, just because you haven't noticed any signs of it doesn't mean its not still there.

16. Sip

Sip Registered

Fireball angel now dead. From swimming normally to gasping at the surface to dead in 90 minutes..
    Coral beauty still swimming but showing signs of velvet more that whitespot... GUTTED:sad:
    Royal g missing

17. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Sorry to hear that mate. It's a PITA I lost 5 fish to it about 5 months ago:(

18. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

i lost 10+, all but one of my fish a similar way. Had to watch them all die over a day and half even the one I got out and treated died overnight. Fingers crossed for you it wont go the same way :(

19. Sip

Sip Registered

Im wishing it was white spot now... Wife and kids in tears is the worst bit about this whole thing.. Maybe the rest will be ok.. Hope so..If they all die then thats it for me. Cheap tank upgrade for someone..

20. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

I felt like that but very glad I stayed with it and restocked. Its as you said earlier russian roulette, even quarantining the fish isnt a 100% guarantee but its much less chance of disease.

Hopefully that will be the end of it for you though and no more losses, if it is velvet etc though as much of a pain it might be you might be better catching them and trying to treat, maybe just best to wait and see for now though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice